Nazgob's painting blog - Long time coming

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Re: Nazgob's painting blog

Post by nazgob »

Oddly, the easiest wqay to do the diamonds that I have found is to do painting by numbers-mark out your pattern with a mechanical pencil.

Reason: ''
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I've 'finished' the first of my harlequins. It just annoys me how many faults you spot when you photograph things. This team is never going to get finished in time for the GT.

axiom
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by axiom »

Love the colour scheme on the pro-elf, but I'm still not sold on the Harlequin look as a BB team. Maybe the rest of the squad will convert me :)

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

the pattern will be necessary - i'm going for all different colours, with a unifying white.

Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Urb »

nazgob wrote:It just annoys me how many faults you spot when you photograph things.
I feel your pain.

Looks good. I think a team show will help unify the look for sure.

Young Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?
Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Nazgob's painting blog - new pics 6th april

Post by Blammaham »

If you shrink the photo down to the size of the mini then it will be more representitve of the paint job its like looking at it with a magnifying glass, the bigger it is the more you see.!S.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

A harlequin elf team is next on my list. I have been looking at them and wondering what to do about the jetpack things. to try and carve them off seems a god way to screw a figure but to leave them feels wrong. What did you do?

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I may have taken the coward's way out. I left them. I don't think that they look too bad either. When I get a chance, i'll photograph the back of some of them.

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I think it looks great Naz - the comment about reducing the size of the image is an important one though.

I would also suggest to get some gloss varnish on the gems to give the mini more texture and depth.

I've never tried a harlequin theme and never will.. the time for me to have tried it was about 15 years ago, I honestly don't think I could carry it off now.. :blue:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Well, photobucket is down, so no pic, but I have just finished the first lineman. And touched up the thrower.
norse wrote:I've never tried a harlequin theme and never will.. the time for me to have tried it was about 15 years ago, I honestly don't think I could carry it off now.. :blue:
Is it alright if I call you Grandfather Norse from now on? :D

In all reality, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew. That lineman took me around 7 hours of work. Not counting converting.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Ok, well I've been blitzing my painting. Took two days off and finished...two models. On the plus side, I'd already done 2 others, so I now have 5 completed.

Like I said, these are all to be different colours. They are unified by pattern, the white and the spot colours of yellow on the belts and the gems. I have applied gloss to the gems and to the masks. I wanted the masks to stand out and though they haven't photographed particularly well, the effect is reasonable.

The following is a conversino that screamed out to me, but if I remember right, at least one coach expressed disapproval. But, being a wardancer, I think the mocking gesture as he leaps away is perfect.

This guy has appeared on the blog before, all unpainted.

And the troupe master. He's obviously the other wardancer, but as troupe master, he gets some extra work.

And from the rear, so you can see the back. I actually think its a good thing to have kept the back packs, as otherwise the rear of the models could become rather boring. The image quality is poor, but I've taken down my make shift light box, and don't fancy overing the window again. I really need to get my camera back.

nb: The bases are colour coded because I think my opponents are going to get confused. As these are entirely converted, I think it only fair to try and help. Red = Wardancer, Blue = Thrower, Green = Catcher, Yellow = Lineman, Black = Tree.

Question: the wardancers are (currently) the only ones with plumes, while all of the catchers have pony tails. The linemen are bald. However, my favourite model is destined to be a lineman, but has a plume. Will the colour codes be enough, or would it make sense for all the linemen to be bald? I think it would be a good idea for em to convert it some more, but I really like that model.

Also, I'm inviting all sorts of criticism, as precise as possible. If you think the green on a model is too dark, speak up. If one ares/colour fades into the background, I was to know. If certain colour combinations have failed utterly, well it'll be annoying, but I've got a fairly think skin.

And yes, I have noticed even more blemishes that need touching up. :D

Hope you like them.

Norse
Da Organiza

Re: Nazgob's painting blog - Updated 21st april

Post by Norse »

I think they look PHENOMENAL Naz! The only thing I don't like about them are the large chunks of 40K debris on their bases in order to give them "lift". I appreciate there is probably very little you could do about that of course, but the conversions and the paint jobs are outstanding!

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

The jetpacks look ok. Thats a relief. You are doing better than I will

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Buggrit

Post by Buggrit »

Naz, I think I'd get even more confused by your basering colours!! But that's just because I follow the 2nd ed colour coding
Grey - Lino
White - Thrower
Yellow - Catcher
Green - Blocker
Red - Blitzer
(some coaches also use blue/purple/orange for other positionals that aren't covered by the above)

G.W.A. NATION!
Most CAS Albion Coast Trophy 2 & 3 Stunty Cup Thrudball 2015 Wooden Spoon Crumb Bowl 2 & NAF Championship 2012

SAWBBL's Cutlery King
axiom

Post by axiom »

The painting on these Elves is phenomenal - they look great, but I'm really not keen on the backpacks, grenades and shuriken pistol clips. They sort of spoil the feel for me.

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/