basing blood bowl miniatures

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

TomB
Rookie
Rookie

basing blood bowl miniatures

Post by TomB »

does anyone have any sure fire way of basing their blood bowl teams on a cut grass look base. The team im currently repainting i have sanded and painted 2 layers of green, but its a bit plain and flat. I dont want to use static grass as sports fields should be well cut. does anyone have any ideas?

Reason: ''
Sir-Skofis
Experienced
Experienced

Re: basing blood bowl miniatures

Post by Sir-Skofis »

With sand and two shades of green it should work, not sure what you are looking for, a picture will be helpful. I usually use a dark green and a medium green. As I don't like things too perfect I also paint part of the sand with dark brown and a earth like brown.

Visit my Blog: Image
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Try Woodland Scenics Blended / Fine Turfs, they are avaliable in a couple of blends and six colors to mix yourself. It's a very fine foam dust, and looks like a carpet once glued.

Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zak Hazard »

I have, in the past, cut circles from grass sheets (the ones that are usually backed on paper, and used for wargaming), and then cut slits in the circles so that the tab of the miniature could fit through the sheet. The circle cut from the grass sheet should cover the top of the 25mm base, of course. It creates a perfectly mowed-lawn look - perfect for a football field. It's also possible to use a very sharp exacto-knife/scalpel to trim the edges of the circle of grass so it's flush with the edge of the base.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Those sheets can be done at home, and the same tech can be applied directly to bases. All you need is to get a premade or build a DIY version of static flock applicator (electric tool or plastic bottle). Use 1-2 mm long static grass for a short look.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

One option is to add some pitch markings, you can add white solid or dotted lines to the bases. Or even coloured designs as if it is the pitch centre or TD line.

The other option is to add some battle damage to the pitch, after all in normal sports games the pitch gets ripped up and fans will throw things. In Bloodbowl this is even more pronounced. So maybe have some muddy patches made or use greenstuff and a model's foot to simulate him having been pushed back by a block.

Then you can add thrown trash from the fans or bits of armour or even players that have come off. Looking at the 3rd edition pitch gives lots of good ideas as that is far from pristine.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by El Hombre »

I do mine as follows:

first glue sand (various sizes) to the base. paint the bigger part of it (irregular shape) dark angels green. Paint the rest Scorched brown, and drybrush some lichter browns on it, end with Bleached Bone.

then you glue flock to the green parts.

now you can add some details to the base: white lines, leftover parts from other players, ...

finish with some dots of static grass on the flocked parts. (not the entire surface, just some dots)

can't find a decent picture right now, should I find one I'll post it.

Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.
--*--Founder League of Rodents--*--
--*--Commissioner BBBF Online League--*--
ramchop
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ramchop »

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

TomB wrote:I dont want to use static grass as sports fields should be well cut.
presumably that depends upon the race, no?? I like to try to theme my bases to the team a little bit.. elves play on pristine lawn, orcs not so much.. :D

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

Norse wrote:
TomB wrote:I dont want to use static grass as sports fields should be well cut.
presumably that depends upon the race, no?? I like to try to theme my bases to the team a little bit.. elves play on pristine lawn, orcs not so much.. :D
Slander! :pissed: The most common degree at Mork Academy is the AA in Blood Bowl pitch lawn care! They take pride in their degree and in the loving care they lavish on their fields!

Sheesh! Some people. :lol:

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I am trying to imagine the effect Goblin groundskeepers would have on turf. At the very least it would be deathrolled to within an inch of its life...

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

ChenZhen wrote:The most common degree at Mork Academy is the AA in Blood Bowl pitch lawn care! They take pride in their degree and in the loving care they lavish on their fields!
my groundskeepers attended the far superior Gork Academy, which teaches how to evenly distribute your opponents blood over the pitch to avoid pesky irrigation issues. :D

sadly, my players are mostly beauty school drop outs from the Zork academy of hair and nails.

they suck at BloodBowl, but they give a mean French mani/pedi. :roll:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

what is this French you speak of? cannot find that on any old world map

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Red_Starrise
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Red_Starrise »

After attaching mini...
1. Prime grey
2. Paint player & paint base a dark green (careful not to mix the two up lol)
3. Wash with devlan mud (agrax earth I think now)
4. Paint rim as you choose (either as above green or position specific color)
5. Paint top with 50/50 pva/water
6. Glue down mix of dead and arid GF9 static grass & let dry
7. Turn upside down over grass tub & tap the bottom of the base gently.
8. Spray varnish

The pitch/display base they're on is the above steps 3-8 on a piece of woodland scenics turf mat.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

i use woodland scenics "fine" turf. its quick and looks good. i've not gotten the hang of static grass. :(

Rick Sanchez lives!