Lizardmen?

Moderator: TFF Mods

StompLord

Lizardmen?

Post by StompLord »

Howdy!

I'm new to Blood Bowl, and I'm starting up with a team of lizardmen.

I'm starving for advice on:

1) What strategies (offesive and defensive) should I employ?

2) To this end, what basic formations should I use?

3) As my team gathers star player points, what skills should I learn for both my sauruses and skinks?

Thanks a ton!

Reason: ''
Ddraig Coch
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Ddraig Coch »

Hi Stomplord and welcome to TBB

You can get good answers to these questions in the tactics & team development forum

regards

Dave

Heaven's calling, Hell is here....
StompLord

Post by StompLord »

Thanks... I'll go rattle that cage.

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

I have to say Lizardmen aren't your best choice if you're starting out with Bloodbowl. They are a tough team to coach and I think you may find them a little frustrating until you get the hang of the tactics.

But hey, if your mind's set on it go to it. It's just harder to offer new player tactics to a lizardman coach as a lot of the stuff you do with lizardmen relies a little on a good knowledge of existing tactics.

Marcus

Rustycan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Lizardmen teams

Post by Rustycan »

Hey Stomp! I play lizardmen teams a bunch, so maybe I can help out out a bit.

1) When I line up at the line of scrimmage I place my sauruses (my current team has 4 of the brutes!) together with 2 skinks on each end one square back to keep them from being overrun. If I am receiving the ball I line up two skinks in the wide zones 1 square back from center field, leaving the saurus/skink formation at the line only holding back one skink to grab the ball. I send all four of the skinks in the wide out zones down the field to be receivers (only one can be blitzed and they rest can dodge like mad with their skills), knock down as many players as I can with my sauruses and follow thru to tie up as many as I can. Skinks move like the wind so getting as many of them down field with a MA of 8 is no problem.

If I am kicking then I set up the saurus/skinks at the line and drop everyone else back about 5 squares in pairs to cover my opponents recievers. And just try to stop them with the sauruses (with 4 strength and 6 MA they are quite a threat if left by them selves so you can tie up a few of the opposition with them. And with a 9 AV they may go down but the get up real quick!). Gang up on the ball carrier when he gets near and then if you get the ball, run like mad to the other endzone!!

2) is kinda discussed above ^^^

3) skills I gave my skinks as they only get agilty are sprint and sure feet. That way you have skinks that move up to 11 squares and dont fall over!! Others skills that are good are catch- for that extra chance of actually catching the pass!!, jump up- since they do get knocked down quite a bit due the the low ST2 they can get right back up (unless they were crushed!). If you get doubles then by all means grab block!! They really stand up well against anyone as only 1 result knocks them down!! Even with the extra dice for low ST.
Skills for saurus of course good ole block so the strong beasts dont go down as easy. Break Tackle is awesome with them as the low AG1 keeps them in the mix if they are near other players so just dodge them away with BT and your laughing! If you get doubles then try diving tackle or stand firm to stay on the line to keep your buds some help.

Down the road if double are rolled for any skinks then you can develop them into catchers or passers to help with those already tough passes.

This is only what I have tried with my current team. My record is 8-2 with my opponents being from all races (dwarves, amazon, dark elf, skaven, and orc) So hope some of this works out and good luck.

Rusty

Nermal
Veteran
Veteran

skinks

Post by Nermal »

nerves of steel make for great catchers if you can get it. just think

no modifiers to catch, no modifiers to dodge (stunty)

great 8)

Rolling Thunder
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Re: skinks

Post by martynq »

Nermal wrote:nerves of steel make for great catchers if you can get it.
Unfortunately, NoS is a general trait, so skinks cannot take it (as they don't have access to general traits).

Cheers,
Martyn

Nermal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Nermal »

a crying shame too. under house rules though...

Rolling Thunder
traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

anyone painted a team of this lizards ? Some picts around ? Of this team i just have this Saurus startplayer. Quite nice to paint. i visited Peru last year and can remember the different colors of Gold and gems ... :wink:
Argh, as i tell on the button of this post... so many minis....

Traveller

CoachGorbad
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CoachGorbad »

Liz team in the pictures section.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brbb/

I would seriously advise against learning the game with a liz team. With the lack of ball handling and passing ability, its a tough team to succeed with.
Saurus don't have the AG to score completions or get the ball thru catching or even picking it up off the floor so they won't get skills very swiftly. Str 4 is nice, but advancing slow is painful.
Skinks do advance much faster than Saurus, but they can't get General skills anymore. This dramatically limits their ability also. Sure hands & block, to name a few, are skills that can make or break any team.

But if you persist, listen to me know and hear me later, Perfect the punch and run offense. Don't go toes across the line with the Saurus. Their AG of 1 prevents them from using their MV of 6 if they are tied up in the scrum. 3 on the midline, with the rest a step back so they can adjust and surge thru the one hole you need.
Like all fragile players, keep the skinks out of base to base contact but use their tackle zones to limit free movement. With their speed and stuntiness, they can fake to one side and surge past slower opponents to rejoin the saurus cage you build jsut past midfield.
The next turn, a few str 4 blocks should open another hole in whatever defense your opponent has put in your way, then just haul scaly butt to the goal line.
Defense is pretty similar, skinks to screen, saurus to lay the smack down.
All this may sound simple, but its absolutely imperative to get skills on your meat. A saurus with block should be your key hitter. Block/pow results will haunt your nightmares after only a few games, but stick to it and you can compete, if not rule.

Gorbad
Coach of the Gutstompas
Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

You really should speak to Sputnik and Venomous Breath and Christer(oh look he just posted)
imo they are the leading authorities on lizzies, one is the Res champ, the other is the Spikey champ :wink:( and one is hard to beat)

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]Hall Of Famer[/url]
Novice Heretic
Wielder of the Trout of Nuffle Slapping
"I hope this makes sense,most things make sense in my head, but not to other people"
christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

My top advice for successfully coaching a lizard team is:

Keep the sauruses mobile.

With all your sauruses pinned by zombies and whatnot, you'll have a very difficult time doing anything constructive. Skinks are great and all, but they don't have much in the way of offensive power.

Some generic tips to acheive this:

* Keep them is pairs. When a lone saurus gets pinned, it will most likely stay that way for the rest of the drive. With a "wingman" you will often be able to free one of them up. In addition to this, it's more likely that you'll be able to blitz a hole in case you need to shift the play.

* Make the TD. If you're holding the ball and notice that your sauruses are stuck go for the TD. This will obviously free them up.

* Break Tackle. Excellent skill to keep high strength players on the move. Although don't overdo it. You need to have a couple of blockers as well.

* Be prepared to sacrifice skinks. Pinning low agility players with skinks in order to keep the sauruses on the move can give you an opportunity to get away with the ball.

Oh, and as a sidenote.. Zy, doesn't the FUMBBL title account for anything? I'd say my lizards have a decent record :)

-- Christer

FUMBBL - http://fumbbl.com