Tournamnet Skill Assignment

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

At the end of a tournamnet match i prefer to pick the player skill.

Yes
56%
No
11%
Dont mind
33%

Total votes: 9

gamesvaultsteve
Veteran
Veteran

Tournamnet Skill Assignment

Post by gamesvaultsteve »

Hi all.

We are running a tournament in September and we are trying to decide what is the best way to assign skills at the end of each match.

At the Corrivalry tournamnet in February, rather than allowing each Coach to pick the player and the normal skill, instead at the end of each match each Coach rolled to randomly to see which player on his team got a skill and was allowed to roll 2d6 to see if it was a normal skill, double or stat increase.

This seemed to work well and spiced things up a little. So rather than having lots of predictable skills on Blitzers and cathers, you had linemen and blockers picking skills and getting the ocasional stat increase!

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Steve

Reason: ''
gamesvaultsteve
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Re: Tournamnet Skill Assignment

Post by Grumbledook »

Played in quite a lot of different tournaments with various skill assignment rules

I prefer getting all skills at the start of the tournament now and having the same team every game

it makes a wider range of races more competitive

not a fan of stat increases, far too random and gives a big boost to whoever gets lucky with them

Mootaz
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mootaz »

I also don't like that whole "rolling for skill" thing. I get +ST on my Wardancer, you get a normal skill on your Zombie. Now we play against each other. Wow, that will be fair.

mattwhile
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mattwhile »

Totally agree that stat increases need to be limited.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Totally agree. Stat increases are bad IMO, even more so if they are randomly distributed. The beauty of a tournament is it a level playing field (or as close as we can get).

I also like to get all my skills up front. It brings more races into the fold, and also tips the scales slightly more towards good coaching (over just luck).

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

I'm not overly fussed, although I would probably prefer to see randomised skills/randomised players in a smaller tournament (e.g. it worked nicely at Troll Bowl) rather than a big one, such as the GT/Monkeybowl/Waterbowl etc Ultimately, for me, the atmosphere of the tournament is more important than the ruleset.

Re: Stat increases, I don't like the idea of them in a tournament where players get totally random skills, but at a tournament where you preselect your skills, like at the Flame Bowl, I think it works just fine (as long as it is limited).

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Picked upfront, either all in play at the start of the tourney, or coming into effect for game #x.

Random skills can be fun (got Guard on a Pro Elf Blitzer at Pearlies a few years ago), but as said above, they can make what should have been a (relatively) fair match-up much less so.

Big Fat NO to stat increases.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.