Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

littlejonnyfrostbite
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Eurobowl Teams

Post by littlejonnyfrostbite »

Hi,

I just wondered how the English (or any other) Eurobowl team is picked? I'm not getting delusions of granduer as I've not taken part in any tournaments yet :o just an interested observer.

Is it based on NAF rankings?

Cheers

Reason: ''
[url=http://www.terranovagryphons.co.uk]Terra Nova Gryphons[/url]
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

There's no set way the teams are picked - it's up to the individual countries.

Iirc England's is pretty much based on those who've a) attended an overseas tournament, and b) willing to attend another. Germanyuse (or at least did) a set of qualifying tournaments. Scotland's is (iirc :wink: ) a) if you've got any Scottish blood at all (or even think you're Scottish) and b) willing to drive to the airport (catching plane is optional).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

it does all depend on the country. italy this year had the captain choose 4 names i think and the other 4 chosen from qualifying tournaments. the french, the danish was pretty much just the one league that came over i think.

simon's right about the scottish system though :wink:

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Feck Off!

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Quermitt
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Quermitt »

Belgium had nine coaches that wanted to attend this year and in the end one decided to not be the ninth wheel on the wagon (thanks, Sam!) and so we were exactly eight.

What the coming editions will be for Eurobowl I have no idea, but if we get more than eight possible contestants I have no doubt that we will be able to sort everything out. That's after all what Belgian politicians do ... :lol:

Glorian Underhill
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Glorian Underhill »

The German version of qualifcation tournaments was a desaster in 2005. So we adopted the italian/republic of rome Version of an elected dictator for one year.

On the NAF Forum a possible team Captain is electetd whom several players are willing to follow. Then possible Players state their willingness and the teams they are good at.

And then the team captain decides whom he wants to choose and contacts them. So it is a chosen dictator for one year and the captain changes mostly every year.

The NAF Ranking is a good decisionbase at it states how much experience the coach has and on how many tournaments he was. But it is not the one and only decisionvalue.

So to make it short. Play some tournaments, show your value and you will be choosen. Putting a complete rookie in an eurobowl team is an risk a country takes only if it has no other options. As BloodBowl per se the eurobowl is not a tight, win only tournament. It is made of fun, friendship and challenges every game. Once you have been there you will never leave it out. But everyone likes to bring one of the trophies home. :D

Spike!ImageSchau - Der deutsche Blood Bowl Podcast
http://www.soehne-sigmars.de/feed/spikeschau/
wp
Experienced
Experienced

Post by wp »

Evil Git wrote:Italy this year had the captain choose 4 names i think and the other 4 chosen from qualifying tournaments.
One of the 4 refused the nomination and prefeared the qualifying system, so finally it was 3 choosen (included the captain) and 5 qualified :wink:

Roller

necromancer

Post by necromancer »

The Danes had members from both ArosBB (Jutland) and CLBBBL (Sealand)

If you get 4+ points you are prequalified for next eurobowl.

The rest are those interested. We meant to make qualifiring during the Danish Open. Didn't quite work out.

In the end only 8...and then 7 were interested. Then we had to get a journeyman in to be 8. Mads Muff, he got most CAS award...so good choice :D

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

To understand Eurobowl, from England's perspective at least, you have to go back to the first Eurobowl England attended in 2004.

One guy decided he wanted to form and captain an England team. Pretty much only 8 people were prepared to travel to Germany, so they were the 8 who formed the team.

Those 8 happened to win the event! It was felt the original team and captain should be given a chance to defend their title next time in 05. One of the 8 couldn't make it, so someone stepped in at short notice to fill in.

Next time in 2006, a captain was selected from the 8 original coaches. This individual (a very skilled and well-respected coach who had travelled to many tournaments in many different countries) selected the team on his own terms. The criteria were basically - coaches who had proven themselves by winning tourneys, having good NAF rankings etc, but also those who had contributed to the community and were committed 'team players'.

I was captain this year in Spain. I was chosen on an informal basis by current team members. I guess it was felt I was respected within the community, and that my position in the team in terms of gaming ability was unlikely to be challenged. I'd had the experience of playing Eurobowl before and of the other candidates from within the team, I was the most keen to do it.

So I chose the team, based on a number of factors - skill at the game, contribution to the community, commitment etc.

These are subjective criteria, the captain is in effect a dictator. But it's the captain's job to be as fair as possible and I think those who have captained England have tried to do just that. Other nations' qualification systems have not generally been succesful, so this remains the best way to do it IMO.

The captain has not yet been chosen for 2009. I would imagine it will again be an individual from within the team, a well-known face and an excellent coach. As others say if you want to be in the team - get to plenty of tournaments, play well, win some, and you have a great chance of catching the captain's eye!

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

i am the French dictator for the last 5 years...
but they like my way to rule the french squad.

Picking up players on several criterias that (for example) are differents some years (concidering the community wishes).

players this year werent from only one league but from all France. (most of them living close to Paris)

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Northernknight
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Northernknight »

There is the Welsh system, which is to continually, for over three years, go on about the need for coaches even a tiny bit Welsh, then hope you have enough in time for the tournament. It was so close to working this year!!!

By the way, you dont happen to have any Welsh grandparents do you?

(on that note, is it possible fo the Eurobowl to have a section in tbb all to itselt to assist with team creation/selection? Somewhere where a selection thread for each team can be stickied and not bumped off the front page over the year.)

littlejonnyfrostbite
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by littlejonnyfrostbite »

I'm married to someone who has welsh grand parents, is that close enough? :lol:

Oh and I sometimes work in Queensferry and Cwmbran...and daffodils grow in my garden too!

[url=http://www.terranovagryphons.co.uk]Terra Nova Gryphons[/url]
Willi
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Willi »

littlejonnyfrostbite wrote:I'm married to someone who has welsh grand parents, is that close enough? :lol:

Oh and I sometimes work in Queensferry and Cwmbran...and daffodils grow in my garden too!
Seems absolutely sufficient, if not overqualified I would guess. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Rent me. I`m German.
thechosengobbo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by thechosengobbo »

How about having a Welsh best mate, and a pet dog which was born in Wales? :lol:

EDIT: Hell, how about I sign my mate up, and the turn up as his 'stunt double' instead of him? :lol:

Everything in moderation (except possibly moderation)
Quermitt
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Quermitt »

littlejonnyfrostbite wrote:Queensferry and Cwmbran...
How on earth do you pronounce that last place name??? :o :o :o :?: :?: :?: :o :o :o