Players too big for tournaments?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Angeblich
Experienced
Experienced

Players too big for tournaments?

Post by Angeblich »

I never went to a tournament, but I am planning on doing so this year (finally...). So my question is this:

I have a halfling team with 2 of the GW-treemen and one even bigger one as Deeproot (it's Reaper's Mossbeard). Now even the "normal" treemen are kind of bulky and in my friendly games they often touch some of the opposing players, especially when there are also big guys on the line. And at least with my models it is so, that they sometimes lose paint from a slight touch of another figure, although I coated them 3 or 4 times.

How do you avoid that in tournaments, where people surely come with teams that were painted with great care in many hours? Do you use exchange-models for that situations?

And what about models, that are really big? My Deeproot fits on the normal small base, but his arms reach out far and he is of course prone to being knocked over because of the small base...

So how do people handle big guys in tourneys?

Reason: ''
Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Re: Players too big for tournaments?

Post by Don__Vito »

Just point all this out to your opponent and politely ask that only you handle that particular model. Use prone/stunned tokens whenever he hits the deck, and if it really is unusable then use a stand in. I have seen it, only once mind, where someone used dryads as treemen instead of the treemen he had which were very large!

PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Or you can pretend to be clumsy and knock pretty models over all the time. It is a great way of out-psyching your opponent. Especially if you paint like a bling hedgehog.... in a bag.

Plus, some players just ARE too big for tournies. The gut-charge at last year's poo bowl is a fine example.... (love ya really luv monkey) ;)

NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Initially I wondered if this thread was going to be about coaches too large to fit at tables ;) :lol: :lol:

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Everyone who attended the first Cam Carnage knows that well ;)

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

ah painting like a bling hedgehog, what a metaphor!