How to get the coaches and what else...

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

coma
Veteran
Veteran

How to get the coaches and what else...

Post by coma »

So I am the tournament organiser at a small konvention thats held in my town (Sundsvall - Sweden). We have a local league with currently 16 players and thats real good for this town. I was just wondering over how to get coaches to travel to the event to play BB and what do people expect to get in prizes and other stuff?

Ive heard Impact do some kind of Tournament deal (Heard it at Gothbowl in Gothenburg - Sweden) with the organizers. How does this usually work?

The bottom line is that I want to make a great torney with about 20-25 coaches but because of the distans many would have to travel I am not that certain so many would come "just" to play BB (shame on them).

So what do YOU say about tournament organising and give me some great tips. :)

Visit the konventionsite here (only in Swedish) Mittkon

Sincerely
/coma

Reason: ''
fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Post by fire olli »

I have run a few events myself.

1) Make sure you have a list of places to stay for the guys that are traveling.

2) You may want to provide food. Saves people having to find a shop for themselves and everyone can havea good chat while they eat.

3) Make sure you have enough BB stuff. Boards, scatter templates, Throwing ruler etc.

4) Prizes. I have always given out cups or medals but some tournys give BB teams to the first prize.

I think if you are well organised and advertise well you should get a good amount of players turn up.

:smoking:

coma
Veteran
Veteran

Post by coma »

The tournament is run on a gamesconvention so the food and sleepingplaces are already set. Thats a freebie but the downside could be that coaches want to play something other than BB when they visit the con.

We have a bunch of boards (with the necessery stuff) and I think we can ask the people coming to bring there own if they have the means to do so. But to get the boards is not a big trouble.

Prizes is interesting and the fee for entering BB tournaments in Sweden that I have seen is about 2 GPB / 3-4 USD. I was thinking blockdiceset for 2nd place and mabye some figure/figures for 1st place. That depending on how many coaches.

This sounds reasonable?

What type of tournament draws coaches to your events? 1 100 000 TV, stunty cups, dungeon bowl and so on.

fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Post by fire olli »

The one I run is 1,100,000gc with skill advancement after each game eg 2 normal skills to 2 chosen players after game 1 then 1 double skill after game 2 etc.
You could do final game in the dungeon, this i think would be good, something for people to look forward to.

coma
Veteran
Veteran

Post by coma »

Gothbowl does the semifinals as dungeonbowl (8 teams, 2 matches) that was cool but I hadnt thought about doing the finale as DB. Clearly something worth watching for the other coaches and convention visitors.

How many tournies use the special cards? Our league doesnt at this point but im arguing to use the rulez thats there...

coma
Veteran
Veteran

Post by coma »

Im back again with another question. We played a minor tournament today but we had one problem. What can be done about (and what do you do) people who cannot play there matches in time and dont show up in time? This is something that must work but really do not at the moment. Someone thought it would be nice to have chesstimers and that would solve it I think but it is to expensive for us.

What do you tournament do to help the time/stall problem?

TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

Chess clocks are a big NO IMO, The best option is to harass the slow players to speed up. Half way check out which games are progressing slowly and tell them (regularly) they have to speed up. If it gets out of control you'll have to end games, just make sure both coaches got an equal amount of turns and be a bit reasonable (if 1 guy has set up a TD his opponent could impossibly stop next turn allow him to score it).

Nothing can be done about players coming late besides having a reserve player that can step in.

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Tournaments I run I normally annouce the remaining time at regular intervals - starting with 1 hour left.

At 1 hour you ought to be finishing the first half, if you are still on turn 4 you've got plenty of time to pick up the pace and finish! Later notifications don't give as much "recovery" time.

Then 30 mins, 15 mins and every 5 minutes thereafter.

If you've got tables still playing then you call the game after a reasonable warning period - and try to let them finish drives.

I'd also apply a discretionary penalty on anyone I thought was delaying a game intentionally for advantage.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams