UK Champion for 2009

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

UK Champion for 2009

Post by Lycos »

The UK has many tournaments and during 2008 some general discussion started about having a UK annual champion in the same way that many other countries do. This is a light hearted idea not some attempt for all power gamers to get all serious, tournaments are about having fun and that is first and foremost.

There are many different views on how this could work and they have all been discussed by a group of who are amongst the most regular of the UK scene. It has been agreed that we need to make it available to all players in the UK and ensure that we cover the geographical aspect of where the bigger tournaments are. To make it easier to digest and understand, I have put this in simple categories.

WHO: Any player who resides in the UK is deemed to be eligible. Non resident foreign coaches who come over and compete in the tournaments will not be eligible.

WHERE: Because we all live in different areas it has been agreed to provide a range of locations. We also needed to make sure we had some history of each tournament and also enough attending coaches. As if by fate, the 2007 and 2008 calendars provided us with the perfect spread of locations and dates that have the right size so they are for 2009: North – Albabowl, Monkeybowl & Waterbowl. Midlands – Poobowl & The Bloodbowl. South – Spiky, Pearly Kings and Queens & Thrudbowl.

HOW: As you can see there are 8 tournaments but we cannot expect players to attend all of these so the required number is 3. Your best results of ANY 3 will make up your “score”. If you do 6 or 7 of these, then your best 3 will count. We felt this was important because many coaches will do 4 or 5 of these tournaments and we want to encourage coaches to still take weaker or fun races.

SCORE: This will be done by a straight positional finish. Win your first, second, guess what. If two coaches tie on 3 or 4 or 5 points, you share it.
One side note here, if there is a final it will be the positions after any SF or finals have taken place. Several of the 8 do have a final and be clear up front that making a final does not make you top 2 for sure.

As you can see, it’s not that complicated. Just turn up and play as normal and a group of us will be tracking this on a spreadsheet that will be public and kept in a suitably accessible web site. The champion covers the year from January 1st so the first one is The Poobowl this weekend. It doesn’t matter what races you use, this is just a simple bit of banter really and no, the winner doesn’t get a Eurobowl slot or anything like that, it’s not meant to be so serious, just a bit of fun.

Reason: ''
TFF mod team
mattwhile
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mattwhile »

Very nice idea Dave.

Is it possible to have the worst coach as well using the same system? I think Shane would appreciate another award. :lol:

Rab
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rab »

Sounds fun!

[url=http://schwingaward.org/]SChWiNG[/url] Treasurer
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Cowabunga!

Let the contest begin at the Turd this weekend!

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

excelent idea

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
JJB
Honorary Asmodan

Post by JJB »

Great stuff! I'd take part if I played in more tournies.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

Cool, lets get going this weekend then shall we

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

This weekend doesn't count, unless you take an LRB6 team... and have three big guys... and rubbish skills... and, erm... a beard and a beergut?

No?

(Out of interest, has anyone spent the time to work out retrospectively who would have won 2008?)

hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Don__Vito wrote:(Out of interest, has anyone spent the time to work out retrospectively who would have won 2008?)
No, we're not that sad.

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

hoomin_erra wrote:No, we're not that sad.
No we're not. But expect a man with LRB6 team... and who has three big guys... and rubbish skills... and, erm... a beard and a beergut to do so soon............ :lol: :wink:

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Might be an idea to calculate last years champion anyway, just to show people how the results are worked out? Get to it beardy beergut ;)

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

I'll leave it to Don Vito to work out the details, but iirc Brendan (Pippy) was the only person to win two of the selected tournaments and he got a second in at least one other, my guess is that he was the 2008 champion with Lycos in 2nd and maybe Stick 3rd?

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: UK Champion for 2009

Post by Joemanji »

Lycos wrote:SCORE: This will be done by a straight positional finish. Win your first, second, guess what. If two coaches tie on 3 or 4 or 5 points, you share it.
One side note here, if there is a final it will be the positions after any SF or finals have taken place. Several of the 8 do have a final and be clear up front that making a final does not make you top 2 for sure.
How exactly is this scored. Sorry if I'm being thick. :wink: A coach who comes first gets... how many points?

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

I would assume first gets 1 point, second gets 2, etc...

Lowest score using three best finishes wins?

No chance am I going to work this out either, just wondered if anyone else had? :)

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Joemanji - you're not thick at all, you just obviously don't consume enough beer or have a hairy enough chin to understand all of these complex calculations.

Whooaaa!! :o Is it me or is this all turning a bit 1970's Open University? :lol: :lol: :lol: