Tournament help

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

alun
Rookie
Rookie

Tournament help

Post by alun »

Okay, I am about to start organisation for a Blood Bowl tournament in January/February. This is the first BB tournament I have organised so am looking for a little advice and help.

I am no stranger to organising tournaments but BB is new ground. So a few questions.

1. 1million or 1.1 what is the overall difference or does it not really matter.

2. New skill before each match - roll dice, or generic player skill?

3. 1 day tournament or 2 day tournament. It'll be in Cardiff.

4. Do you send team rosters a few weeks before the tournament or is it ok to just turn up with a team on the day.

5. Would people be miffed if one would ask for people to bring boards and stuff - would it put people off.

6. What do you look for in a BB tournament.

7. What's a fair price for a day tournament/weekend tournament.

Thanks for your time.
Alun. Viet-Taff.

Reason: ''
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Tournament help

Post by Joemanji »

1. 1.1 mil is the norm. People don't tend to use 1 mil apart from the majors, it is quite restrictive.

2. It's up to you ... there are many variations used in different tournaments. Personally I prefer all my skills up front at the start of a tournament.

3. Totally up to you. Lots of people dip their toe into the water with a 1-dayer first though.

4. Turn up on the day, BB rosters are simple enough that your opponent can check them in his head.

5. Nope, standard practice. Only Spiky provides all its own boards, none of the rest do IIRC.

6. Venue that is warm and dry with close access to shops to nip out for lunch and maybe a bar. I'm happy to find my own food, that way I can get what I like. Regular time updates. A points system that doesn't reward freak results or weight silly bonus points too much. A player who wins all his games should always finish higher than one who doesn't IMO.

7. 2 days seem to vary between £12-20. One dayers £8-£15. More than that and you need to start offering something special.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

alun wrote:Okay, I am about to start organisation for a Blood Bowl tournament in January/February. This is the first BB tournament I have organised so am looking for a little advice and help.

I am no stranger to organising tournaments but BB is new ground. So a few questions.

1. 1million or 1.1 what is the overall difference or does it not really matter.

1.1 gives more races a fair chance, though 1.05 1.15 1.2 all take place as well

2. New skill before each match - roll dice, or generic player skill?

IMO stat increases in tournaments really suck. Most give a normal skill roll before each game with perhaps an options before certain games to take doubles. Others give you all the skills before the first game. some you start with all the skills and lose on per round. There are also ones where each skill is given a point value and you have a set amount of points to spend on skills before the tournament. There are loads of variations one skill before each game is the de facto but its up to you. If you want to try something new post a thread with your idea and ask for opinions and tweaking ideas.

3. 1 day tournament or 2 day tournament. It'll be in Cardiff.

I personally prefer 2 days to make the trip worthwhile and preferably 6 games as well. Some only do 5 game sover the weekend, the dutch open for example.

4. Do you send team rosters a few weeks before the tournament or is it ok to just turn up with a team on the day.

Turn up on the day, annoyingly some tournies ask you to bring two copies which annoys me. Presumably so they can check over the copy you hand in, though the opponents usually spot errors and you can penalise their tournament score if they overspend to discourage it.

5. Would people be miffed if one would ask for people to bring boards and stuff - would it put people off.

this is pretty standard and usual practice so don't worry

6. What do you look for in a BB tournament.

value for money and a good atmostphere

7. What's a fair price for a day tournament/weekend tournament.

£15~20 seems to be the norm, personally I prefer it being cheaper with less prizes, people pay more if you lay on meals for lunch in the price as well

if you don't, then a venue where going to get some lunch should be easy, oh any if it is in winter then somewhere warm!

Thanks for your time.
Alun. Viet-Taff.

alun
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alun »

Cheers Joe + Grumble. It's after the Spiky Open that the bug has entered the system!! I believe we played first game (Joe), you had a cold I think, hope it's better (well it should be by now!! :lol: ).

Well the venue will be www.firestormgames.co.uk , that much I do know. A 2 dayer does sound the better option at the moment though.

Cheers.
Alun.

mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

Grumbledook wrote: £15~20 seems to be the norm, personally I prefer it being cheaper with less prizes, people pay more if you lay on meals for lunch in the price as well
Agree with this, a trophy or a board or some figures is plenty. Some tourneys give a painted team, which I think is too much, especially when only a handful of coaches are likely in the running to win. If you want to spend money on prizes, I think spot prizes, first death, first surf, first GFI TD etc. are better.

People are generally happy to get their own lunch, unless you are in the middle of nowhere. Providing tea/coffee might be a nice touch though.

People do make mistakes on rosters though, although this is usually a combination of inexperienced players and complex skill systems.

Don't be afraid to borrow someone elses ruleset, I'm sure they'd take it as a compliment.

Good luck.

duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

Good luck with it Alun

One thing I would recommend is do your homework on dates to try and avoid clashing with any other Tournaments.

PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

mumbojumboist wrote: Providing tea/coffee might be a nice touch though.
Some of us are not nearly mature enough to drink either of these options.

Which is why so many tournies are run in pubs.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

yer annoys me when they put on tea and coffee and no option other than tap water for those of us who don't drink tea or coffee

Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

There's that funny yellow stuff you could drink in the toilets if you wanted!!

"In Dodge We Trust"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Grumbledook wrote:yer annoys me when they put on tea and coffee and no option other than tap water for those of us who don't drink tea or coffee
Well, I pay for the tea and coffee out of my own pocket (and the doughnuts) - I'm not buying half my store's drink aisle to cover everyone's tastes.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Well then maybe you should plan ahead and charge enough to cover those expenses Simon. :P

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Ok, Grum, your ticket is £5 more than everyone elses - what 500ml drink do you want on Saturday and Sunday (one per day)?

;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Darkson wrote:Ok, Grum, your ticket is £5 more than everyone elses - what 500ml drink do you want on Saturday and Sunday (one per day)?

;)
I thought tescos was meant to be cheaper, I'll bring my own from sainsburys like I did last year ;p

I had assumed that it was included in the ticket cost, you are obviously an exception paying for it yourself.

mattwhile
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mattwhile »

Pug wrote:There's that funny yellow stuff you could drink in the toilets if you wanted!!
Now I'm starting to realize why you're soooooooo mad. :lol:

monkeyboy888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by monkeyboy888 »

In a slight hijack of this thread. What are peoples view on player-refs. A good idea, or should any referees be non players?