Tournament idea need opinions

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Re: Tournament idea need opinions

Post by DoubleSkulls »

armydave wrote:Is cheating that common at tournaments?
I don't think it is common, but one of the problems with progression is that it can increase suspicion that people are cheating (+ST War Dancer? He must be a cheat...)

Reason: ''
Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I think stat increases should be banned at tournaments anyway, too much of an advantage

Think my getting a +ST blitzer first game in the ECBBL went a long way to earning the second seed with humans for instance

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Grumbledook wrote:I think stat increases should be banned at tournaments anyway, too much of an advantage
If you are playing prog you aren't worried too much about advantage. Getting players killed, rolling 6 for winnings etc. These all have big impacts in the game.

There is unsurprisingly a fairly good correlation between TV and success, so anything that helps TV develop means you are more likely to win.

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

DoubleSkulls wrote:
Grumbledook wrote:I think stat increases should be banned at tournaments anyway, too much of an advantage
If you are playing prog you aren't worried too much about advantage. Getting players killed, rolling 6 for winnings etc. These all have big impacts in the game.
What would you think about the TO making one roll for winnings, and skills for any players who advance (roll three times each round and apply the rolls to the players on any team who are getting skill ups)

Add me as a friend on Facebook: Spazz Fist
Add me as a friend on Xbox Live: Spazzfist
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Depends on the tourney size and flexibility. At a tourney of 10-12 players, where you've got the location for as long as you like, I can see that making sense. For a tourney of 60+ (CanCon for example), or one where you've only got a certain amount of time, having players hanging around whilst the TO makes the rolls would be a nightmare.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Also does the TO reroll the winnings and tell all the winners what the result is?

If you know the 2nd skill up is +ST, and only get one skill you are going to be peeved aren't you - since nearly everyone else in the tournament got it but you.

Its been discussed and really that sort of thing is a step towards Res, so I think pick either prog or res and don't worry about tweaking them too much to be like the other.

BIG Pete
Experienced
Experienced

Post by BIG Pete »

1 idea is to get rolls made infront of the last opponent, and then have the results and skill ups on the back, But other than my terrible performance at britcon, there wasnt much chance to cheat and in the uk there are few prog tournis. maybe make it "as many games as possible on the first day?

[Currently sitting in corner, Grinning madly]
Shaniepoo on Children: "Is it child abuse if they enjoy it?"
Fat_Emrys
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fat_Emrys »

You could avoid rolls and just declare that all skills earned after games 1, 2, 4 and 5 are normal skills, while skills earned in game 3 are doubles. If nothing else it should encourage some frantic SPP farming to finish Day One! :lol:

Winnings could be fixed at 40,000 per match (plus the usual 10K/20K for FAME, wins and draws).

BBoing! is NOT bback! - see here for details
SChWiNG - The Society of Chainsaw Wielding Naughty Goblins - needs you!