Why Cyanide BB isn't getting any better...

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Why Cyanide BB isn't getting any better...

Post by Darkson »

Confirmed by a 2nd Cyanide employee where will be no AI, so I'm struggling to see how this game can be a success (if they want it to be one that is).

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The AI for the normal game was terrible and with all the changes from normal BB to Dungeonbowl it would take a huge amount of effort to even make the Dungeonbowl AI as bad as the BB one.

I think the original game would have been a lot better if they had concentrated on making the core game as good as they could rather than adding a load of junk that no one asked for or used (real time and blitz mode spring to mind).

Dugeonbowl is a fun variant of Bloodbowl but I don’t think it has the longevity so will be a silly distraction at best. It has never been extensively playtested either as the last “official” rule set was in 2nd edition. I fear once the online community get their hands on it they will quickly discover the most broken combo of teams and the quickest way to win, either that or plenty of coaches will use the infinite time to try and wipe out their opposition. Ironically Dungeonbowl would actually benefit from some of the blitz mode options to keep up the variety. Maybe the other team could get a free wizard after 8 turns of the other team having the ball and not scoring or something like that?

Hopefully Cyanide will concentrate on getting rid of game breaking bugs and will release it as a budget title. I will probably wait a while and see if I can get it for a tenner or less. I did the same with the normal game and skipped the original game and got LE for £17 which on reflection was about worth it.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
SetzerGabbz
Experienced
Experienced

Post by SetzerGabbz »

My favorite part of all this is that Siam obviously doesn't like you, Darkson.
Siam wrote:Thank you Darkson. We did not know anything about those.

Oh wait, we did.
I let this post though, nice pictures in it.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I know, I'm "aggressive-passive", trolling and one post away from a ban.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
PapyHarzen
Experienced
Experienced

Post by PapyHarzen »

Darkson wrote:I know, I'm "aggressive-passive", trolling and one post away from a ban.
Welcome in the club. :lol:

Papy

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

I would be aggressive if I had Darksons face...

... and passive too if I had his stature.

Hey, maybe thats the problem. Maybe Siam has seen your face :D

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Darkson wrote:I know, I'm "aggressive-passive", trolling and one post away from a ban.
I kind of wish they would. :P
All the overwhelming negativity is getting rather tedious and counter productive since they can just dismiss you as a troll.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Kinda wish they would as well - actually wish I could get banned from all BB forums and I could stop playing such a nerdy game.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

It can be arranged if you really want. You wouldn't be the first to make the request ;)

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

What, and miss the opportunity to get my first banning?
Even GW never banned me, and I was hyper-critical of them to (in fact, they ended up making me a mod :?: ), so obviously Cyanide and just got really thin skins.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Maybe they do. They do get a lot of grief for issues caused by Focus, so I can kind of understand that. I'm not excusing the shoddiness of the product, just saying that blame should lie where it belongs.

And I think you know that if you do get banned for being critical then it won't be me doing it ;)

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

There is nothing wrong with being critical or having high standards but I believe it should have a purpose. The original game was not up to my standards so I didn’t get it, LE was flawed but decent so worth the £17 I paid for it. There are still errors or things missing but it is still fun and these are rarely game breaking. With both Chaos Edition and Dungeonbowl I will certainly wait to see if they are worth getting and for the price to come down a bit.

If you come across like a Dwarf longbeard that nothing is good enough, the previous games sucked, and the new ones certainly will then they can just dismiss you as someone who will never be happy.

A better option is to tell them where they have gone right previously and point out the key things missing. Of course they can still ignore us, but you never know. ;)

I am quite interested to see what the artwork will be for the Chaos Dwarf, Underworld and Khrone team. I am guessing it will be a Bull Centaur, Warpstone Troll and Bloodletter. I did really like some of the artwork, particularily the Lizardman, beastman and amazon players.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Darkson wrote:Kinda wish they would as well - actually wish I could get banned from all BB forums and I could stop playing such a nerdy game.
Nerdy or Geeky? Of course, pointing out that there might be a difference will, I'm sure, only further prove your statement to be more accurate. :P

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

spubbbba wrote:...A better option is to tell them where they have gone right previously ...
Unfortunately, this is tricky in the case of Cyanide.
... Of course they can still ignore us, but you never know. ;)
Oh look... another college released, but still no answers to any of the questions being asked.

I was trying to be positive about this as I was genuinely interested, but its being dragged out of me.

Still, one good thing about all this Cyanide shite is I've started playing on FUMBBL, which is (so far) more fun.

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Yeah, they have not covered themselves with glory so far. To be honest I am not sure how easy it would be to get the game 100% compliant with crp. Just look at the debate about how passblock interacts with HMP, 2 pretty useless skills that I think I have seen used a handful of times in the 1000’s of games I have played and spectated over the years. They have limited resources so I’d rather they concentrate on the key stuff and hope to try and steer them that way. I had a lot of fun playing FUMBBL’s lrb4 client and that had plenty of bugs in it, of course it was free.

I do think they missed a trick with the dungeonbowl rules, but that might be GW tying their hands again. If they had released an official updated dungeonbowl ruleset at the same time as the announcement then they could have generated some interest in the game as people might have started playing on TT again. Even better would be to release a 1st draft and get feedback for a while so as to tweak some aspects.