Question about "counts as"

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Re: Question about "counts as"

Post by frogboy »

Tree ogres and snotling Spites could be a good fit too

Reason: ''
I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Agragor Manflayer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Agragor Manflayer »

frogboy wrote:Tree ogres and snotling Spites could be a good fit too
Lol, keeping in with Tolkiens line of thinking, that would actually work quite well....

"Bonehead" could proxy for "talking about it"... The ents are discussing what to do next. As everyone knows, if anything is worth saying, it takes a while to say it...

Ah well, "Run Forest, Run" as they say in Mirkwood... or was it Forest Gump?

Agragor Manflayer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Agragor Manflayer »

frogboy wrote:Mmm going to steal that idea, thanks :orc:
Your welcome :wink:

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

lunchmoney wrote:As long as the minis are easily recognisable for your opponent I would have no issues at my tourneys.
+1

Rayphoton
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Rayphoton »

The great thing about bloodbowl and bloodbowl players is the freedom people have in the use of their miniatures. You want to use a demon in palce of a dark elf witch then do it ...or a vampire..or a medusa ..or...a lego. I've seen it all

Tell your opponent what it is ..and then your pretty much free to do whatever. 99% of the awesome players out there wont care ..and the remaining one percent wont tell you if they do.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Rayphoton wrote:Tell your opponent what it is ..and then your pretty much free to do whatever. 99% of the awesome players out there wont care ..and the remaining one percent wont tell you if they do.
What I'm looking for is some kind of logical connection to the figures and the position they're supposed to represent.

"These large dryads are Ogres, the tiny shrublings are snotlings" is fine.

"This besastman and this vampire are witch elves. The witch elves are Blitzers. The blitzer with the red shoulder pad and the vampire Thrall with the blue shoulder pads are runners. The thralls with teal shoulder pads and those other Beastmen are linemen" can be problematic. I'm exaggerating a little bit, but I've played against that kind of team before and it can get irritating.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

dfunkateer wrote:
I've used impact sarcos tiny crocodile figures before as halflings (they are fling size) and didn't get any complaints.

Dfunk.
No one will never complain playing against halflings :smoking:

dfunkateer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dfunkateer »

babass wrote:No one will never complain playing against halflings :smoking:
Especially the way I play them :D

"He's a better player than he looks." Geggster about Dfunkateer, Stone Bowl 2018.

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

Rayphoton wrote:99% of the awesome players out there wont care ..and the remaining one percent wont tell you if they do.
I definitely tell people... But only if their minis are stupidly difficult to tell apart. Turning up to a tournament with a black primed team that your opponent can't follow isn't cool.

I do like to see interesting takes on teams though. Take my Gladiator Chaos pact for instance. Different to other people's Pact teams but the positionals are instantly recognisable on the table-top.

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

I can understand using non-painted minis, but I always make sure I take a painted team to a tournament.
It certainly adds to the quality of the game.
For me, it's a 'not-done', using unpainted minis in a tournament.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

JaM wrote:I can understand using non-painted minis, but I always make sure I take a painted team to a tournament.
It certainly adds to the quality of the game.
For me, it's a 'not-done', using unpainted minis in a tournament.
Most TO's put a must be painted rule in the rules pack. And then ignore it when someone turns up with unpainted minis.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb @ gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

lunchmoney wrote:Most TO's put a must be painted rule in the rules pack. And then ignore it when someone turns up with unpainted minis.
I haven't seen many rulesets with a "must be painted" rule. More often, gentle incentives like an extra point on the table for painted teams.

(I also can't recall anyone bringing unpainted players to a tournament, not even tiny tournaments played in someone's backyard).

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

rolo wrote:I haven't seen many rulesets with a "must be painted" rule. More often, gentle incentives like an extra point on the table for painted teams.

(I also can't recall anyone bringing unpainted players to a tournament, not even tiny tournaments played in someone's backyard).
The most notable in 2015, for me, was the NAFC. The rules clearly state minis must be painted and I saw at one bare metal and several with just undercoat. Nothing was done. (This was brought up by more than one person in the feedback thread.)

More and more tournies, in the area I play in, are starting to note that painted is prefered, but not essential. What is essential is to be able to tell the models apart. Obviously paint helps with that, but there are other ways of doing it.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb @ gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

I just read this post the first time, and I like the originals posts idea of mixing dwarves and norse. Fluffwise both races actually have met and live along each other in a city where Worlds Edge Mountains and Norsca intersect. So I see no problem in that from the background.

Runners actually make sense as dwarf runners. Aside the AV they are almost the same anyway. Speking of the same thing goes for a berserker and a trollslayer. To be honest, I think I wouldn`t even have a problem with them being what they are in the norseroster. If there`d be a mixed roster out there, I believe it would actually look like that minus the deathroller, or any "Big guy" on the team.

.....Jeezus....I think I´ll try this!

Rayphoton
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Rayphoton »

rolo wrote:
Rayphoton wrote:Tell your opponent what it is ..and then your pretty much free to do whatever. 99% of the awesome players out there wont care ..and the remaining one percent wont tell you if they do.
What I'm looking for is some kind of logical connection to the figures and the position they're supposed to represent.

"These large dryads are Ogres, the tiny shrublings are snotlings" is fine.

"This besastman and this vampire are witch elves. The witch elves are Blitzers. The blitzer with the red shoulder pad and the vampire Thrall with the blue shoulder pads are runners. The thralls with teal shoulder pads and those other Beastmen are linemen" can be problematic. I'm exaggerating a little bit, but I've played against that kind of team before and it can get irritating.

Ok, that example is good...yes have a little uniformity. I guess what I'm saying is, your dwarves don't have to look like dwarves..they can be robots or stormcast eternals ..etc etc.