Grum's Eurobowl Suggestion

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

if you don't want to play ogres for your country I am sure there are others who will ;]

this is what I said about perhaps giving other coaches a chance to represent their country

Reason: ''
wp
Experienced
Experienced

Post by wp »

First reports from Italy:

- a lot of "Old Eurobowl" players (Yena, Dirold) dislike the idea; they want a Eurobowl very competitive with the stronghest races to give to the tournaments more "value"; :evil:

- "new" Eurobowl and or international players (Teg, Dreddolo) likes the idea; they don't see a lost of competition due to the use of tier 2 and 3 races. 8)

Noone wants to test the idea directly at Eurobowl. They think is better to test it in other tournaments before... :?:

Farina isn't able to use the PC/internet/mail browser etc... :roll:
During the comeback from Mas Badò we spoke about next Eurobowl rules.
He said that he was thinking only about :
- TV (he'd ask to the teams captains what they think about 105 that we prefear to the too small 100 and the too large 110)
- Small bonus points to the nation that wins the rounds (for example San Marino vs Vativano 5-3, San Marino gains X extra points). X=1 or 2 points

haktar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by haktar »

I like the idea of extra points for the nation who wins.

I prefer 110, because it is the most used in tournament.

I agree that the Eurobowl is not the place for testing, because it must be a success.

Trying to play bloodbowl.
driesfield
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by driesfield »

Why not give each nation 8 teams and decide who plays what race ad random athe the beginning of Eurobowl? That way players will have to depend on their playskills to win. There is of course the factor that you still have to roll a die but that has no direct influence on the race you're playing.
D

Scourge of Lizardmen! and Sjapie!
I'll never be your Beast of Nurgle.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

random players per race isn't something I think most would like as players are usually selected with their ability to play that race in mind

extra 0.5 point for winning the round is an interesting idea

rather it was stuck with 110 and the skill system was changed rather than dropping to 105

still believe something needs to be done to mix up the races taken, otherwise its going to be stagnant, same old faces playing the same old races

don't really see it as much of an experiment either

Turin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Turin »

I've got no problem with TV 105 and I really like the idea of gaining an extra team-point by winning, that adds to the flavour of a team tourney.

I particularly dislike the idea of randomly determining which player will get what race for which round. I play DE because I like playing DE and dislike Woodies, Dwarves, Undead, Human, Orcs, etc. Many people arrive with 'their' team, especially from smaller countries, so don't take away their minitiatures!

Concerning the experiments at Eurobowl: that's not a good idea. Such things should be tested before. Furthermore I don't like those groups. If you want to change the line-up, give the races point values from 1 to 10 and each country shall choose races for 45 points. So if Woodies cost 10 pts and Undead 9, you'd only have got 26 pts for 6 other coaches. If any country won't use all of their 45 pts, they can exchange them to team-tourney-points for a ratio of 1 race-point to 0,5 team-tourney-points.

Blood Bowl ist ein Wintersport! Duda, Duda!

mattwhile
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mattwhile »

Purely out of interest, how is the captain for the English Eurobowl team selected? I have seen that other countries have a qualifying tournament for example.

I'm not trying to start a big inquest into who is selected and why, I was just wondering.

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

If you want to change the line-up, give the races point values from 1 to 10 and each country shall choose races for 45 points. So if Woodies cost 10 pts and Undead 9, you'd only have got 26 pts for 6 other coaches. If any country won't use all of their 45 pts, they can exchange them to team-tourney-points for a ratio of 1 race-point to 0,5 team-tourney-points.
Easily the best solution IMO although Pippys groups were quite good.

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

SillySod wrote:.... although Pippys groups were quite good.
He had a bit of help with them ;-)

I really like the idea of grouping the races. Instead of weakening the EB competetive element it actually strengthens it, because coaches can't rely on old tactics of Wood Elf + Undead + Dwarf + Chaos Dwarf + Amazon + Orc + Skaven + one other. Now they must rely on having to actually PLAY the game and use races like Humans (one of the most challenging teams!).

Let's not forget that EB was set up originally as a bit of fun that produced a winner at the end. We have 12 months of hard-core competetive tournaments all over, so maybe it is right that EB goes for something slightly different. As others have said, it might also give other players a chance to represent their country (a good thing!).

The points/pots ideas acheive similar results, though with the points idea it would have to be very well thought through, whereas the pots idea is a lot easier to get right (i.e. is there an obvious choice of team from a pot? If not then the teams in the pot are right)

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Darkson wrote:
Pippy wrote:Not sure EB is the best forum for experimentation.
If not the EB, then where? Is there another tournament with the same format?
At least one other has said the EB isn't the place, so where?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
haktar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by haktar »

Hum, the idea of points for choosing the rosters is good, because it let more choice than pool of rosters.
The problem indeed it's to make the good valuation.

Concerning, Eurobowl i think that the team mode (8players) make already the event special.

Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

Darkson wrote:
Darkson wrote:
Pippy wrote:Not sure EB is the best forum for experimentation.
If not the EB, then where? Is there another tournament with the same format?
IIRC there are now two other 'team' based tournaments: Skull Cup (Spain) and the Flame On (UK). I could be wrong.

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

mattwhile wrote:Purely out of interest, how is the captain for the English Eurobowl team selected? I have seen that other countries have a qualifying tournament for example.

I'm not trying to start a big inquest into who is selected and why, I was just wondering.
They normally decide the next captain (England rotate captaincy every year unless you win it then you can have another go) at the Eurobowl. But i don't think they came to a conclusion in Spain but I am sure the new captaiin will be announced in the new year.

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
haktar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by haktar »

Hangus wrote:
Darkson wrote:
Darkson wrote: If not the EB, then where? Is there another tournament with the same format?
IIRC there are now two other 'team' based tournaments: Skull Cup (Spain) and the Flame On (UK). I could be wrong.
There are more :
3 players team tournament : rendez-vous (France)
4 players team tournament : Nabot (France)
5 players team tournament : lutecebowl (France)
6 players team tournament : Rugbowl (France)

wp
Experienced
Experienced

Post by wp »

Hangus wrote:
Darkson wrote:
Darkson wrote: If not the EB, then where? Is there another tournament with the same format?
There are:

Italy: Tilean Team Cup; Tripple Skull Team Cup
Spain: Dream Team Cup; Catenaccio Bowl
France: Rugbowl; Lutecebowl
Germany: D-bowl
Belgium: HQ Bowl