UK Champion for 2010

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Of the five...

One doesn't travel : has only played 7 tournaments in 3 years, all within a 15 mile radius.

One has played 4 tournaments in the last 3 years.

One is a vocal opponent of Eurobowl and has only played one tournament this year due to family commitments.

Leaves 2 others, one of whom was asked and declined, and one who I believe was considered but is out of the country at the moment IIRC.

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Ironjaw
Crassest person in Blood Bowl

Post by Ironjaw »

The England players aren't in the team because of their rankings, it's because they are good, experienced coaches.

Without looking at the rankings for any team, I can tell you which coaches are better than me in the UK (Geggster, Lycos, Joemanji, PeteW, Pippy, Lucifer), as most regular tournament players can.

PeteW isn't in the team because he doesn't travel, and Joe was offered a reserve spot but declined.

Anyway, you know more than most Matt that it's about to change so stop winding me up.

Mr 1-in-20
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

i believe this is getting off topic and Matt as Leon said things are being sorted.

@Firebreather- it is just a bit of fun IMO, if people want to do it so what it is not going to dictate which race i use or tournament i attend.

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
mattwhile
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mattwhile »

Ironjaw wrote: ...... Matt that it's about to change so stop winding me up.
It was fun while it lasted. :lol:

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

firebreather wrote:I think you can do what you like with rules, after all there cant be more than a dozen or so people remotely interested in "UK Champion", i find the whole thing quite laughable, some people have complained about how the NAF creates an elitism with the ranking system, i think all this does is back this up.

When i 1st saw the threads on this last year it looked like a bit of harmless fun, but some seem to be taking it to seriuosly.

PS. Yes spiky is shit, but since when was East Anglia in the south :-?
Here's the thing about this quote (and the related following conversation); it's not the law that you care. If you don't like or care about rankings, don't look! I can hand on heart say I've not looked at my FUMBBL ranking for as I long as I can remember, and my NAF one since I first loaded up the site, and I‘m all the happier since my early days of wanting so desperately to have a great fictional number. That extends to this idea of UK Champ, the Eurobowl selection, or whatever else you want to apply it to, if it's not for you, that's cool, it doesn't have to be. You’re no less of a coach or a bloke for not following the crowd, and you can have your own version of fun that's just as cool.

I don't play nearly enough weekends to be genuinely / selfishly interested in the idea of a UK Champ and how he should be decided, but I was apparently interested enough in the concept to have a brief shufty at this thread. So were you Mr. Breather, Sir, or you'd not have looked either! Now, even though becoming said Champ will be about the farthest thing from my mind in 2010, I still reckon I’ll have me just the same amount of fun, but Leon et al (sorry - I don’t really have the TT knowledge to list all perspective names, apologies for ignorance) might get more out of this concept than they would have without.

If a dozen people care enough to draft some rules to produce a “Champ“, more power to them, let them create their own fun. Rankings, ditto. Those that care will get enjoyment from them, those that don't will still exist just fine. If you'd like to create a 2010 Universe BB Champion series based around blokes with nicknames that contain the letters that make up ‘F-i-r-e-b-r-e-a-t-h-e-r’ and how drunk they can get but still move minis about a board, then great, let’s get a thread together, draft some rules, have some fun!

I must warn you though, PurpleFirebreathergoo will be after you sharpish. ;)

Anyway, since I seem to have written an essay, I'll have my two penneth worth. If you ever create something with the word 'Champion' in the title, or indeed introduce rankings at all, and the great and the good seem interested, it's always going to have people that take it more seriously than intended. Worth getting together half decent rules on that basis, even if you aren't someone taking it super seriously. My humble opinion is that those rules should contain a bonus for a spread of races used, and perhaps not all of them in the uber tier, when working out your winner. Beyond that, I know not enough to comment, but good luck and have fun! :wink:

mattwhile

Post by mattwhile »

Pgoo wrote:If you'd like to create a 2010 Universe BB Champion series based around blokes with nicknames that contain the letters that make up ‘F-i-r-e-b-r-e-a-t-h-e-r’ and how drunk they can get but still move minis about a board, then great, let’s get a thread together, draft some rules, have some fun!

I must warn you though, PurpleFirebreathergoo will be after you sharpish. ;)
:lol:

Please add MattFirebreatherWhile to that list. :lol:

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

MonsterFireBreatherLemf will pwn you all ;)

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

Can I join in Purp's get drunk and move mini's competition? I'd totally be UK champion and represent team England at DrunkBowl!!!

mattwhile

Post by mattwhile »

SillySod wrote:MonsterFireBreatherLemf will pwn you all ;)
Yes, but it would be fun trying to keep up. :lol:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Don__Vito wrote:Can I join in Purp's get drunk and move mini's competition? I'd totally be UK champion and represent team England at DrunkBowl!!!
Put my name down - if I can't suck for Team England at Blood Bowl, I can suck for Team England at this!

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

Darkson wrote:
Put my name down - if I can't suck for Team England at Blood Bowl, I can suck for Team England at this!
I thought I wanted to get into the team badly but I never offered oral for a place. Knew I was doing something wrong

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Ironjaw
Crassest person in Blood Bowl

Post by Ironjaw »

Hangus wrote:I thought I wanted to get into the team badly but I never offered oral for a place
Gay sex joke alert!! Expect Indigo's retort momentarily...

Mr 1-in-20
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

This debate has taken a bizarre direction!

I agree with Mr Goo. UKC is just something else to chat about. Makes the tourney scene a more interesting place for plenty of us, and some will enjoy trying to win it.

Would be interested to hear Lycos' view on whether we need to change anything, as it was his idea in the first place I believe.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I agree, Purps summed it up very nicely. And keeping it simply is surely best (which is why the 10,9,8,...1 scoring is better than 1,2,3...178).

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.