Would this work, or has a tourney done it?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Re: Would this work, or has a tourney done it?

Post by Valen »

I agree Joe, but I think making a player step out of his 1-0 grind make or break shell to win by using a creative scoring system will ensure the best person wins instead of the one trick ponys out there

Reason: ''

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Hmm - maybe 50 win, 25 draw, 5 loss, 1pt per 2 TDs total, 1 pt per 3 Cas total.

Gonna plug that into Score, see what difference (if any) it would make to old results - reckon I can pretty much guarentee Lycos still wins '09 though, possibly by a greater margin.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Generally the points make very little difference to the top position or two in a swiss tourney. However its when you get down into the mid-table that it really starts to matter. The normal exception would be where you've got two people finishing on the same record (5-1-0 having drawn against each other) in which case then use what makes sense.

For Euc Bowl I used a varying points system - something like 50/20/10 with +/-6 based on combined net cas & TD. So there was plenty of incentive to go and chase extra cas & td from the scoring system, but it rarely made a difference to the final placing of the top 5-10.

However I've abandoned that for this year to allow the draw to get tier 2/3 teams with the same record to play each other and to have the strength of schedule as the tie break (i.e. so the tie break is the sum of the scores of your opponents - so how hard a set of opponent's did you play).

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

mattwhile wrote:You Had me at hello. :lol:
Fixed that for you :wink:

Back on topic, simplicity normally works best