Spiky Club Challenge

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Long_Bomb
Veteran
Veteran

Spiky Club Challenge

Post by Long_Bomb »

After my last post about a potential one-day event at the Spiky Club, Firebreather suggested running it as a team competition rather than a traditional individual swiss-pairing event. Although I was initially a bit concerned about all the possible problems with running a system like this, I have now looked at other team events such as Flame Bowl and Euro Bowl and I am at least interested, as are other players at Spiky.

The team system would mean that the winners of the tournament would be decided by about 16 games rather than just four so it should give a fairer result given the one-day format. I also believe as Firebreather said, it would be the only team event in the South and make it noticably different from the Spiky Open. I am interested to know in general what peoples thoughts and experiences are of team events. I would also be interested to know what sort of event people would prefer and if you think the team format works for a one day format.

Reason: ''
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Spiky Club Challenge

Post by Joemanji »

Sounds like a fine idea to me. Excellent even. Team tournaments are the shizzle!

4 rounds should be fine. The Flame Bowl only has 4 rounds of team vs team action anyway (preceded by 2 rounds of individual games, but these are fun rather than necessary).

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
mattwhile
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mattwhile »

Team events are a fantastic selling point to encourage more people to attend. You just have to look at how quickly Flamebowl sold out. I would be really interested in attending another team event.

longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

what size would the teams be?

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Long_Bomb wrote:...the winners of the tournament would be decided by about 16 games rather than just four ...
This implies teams of 4, which is the same as Flame Bowl and most of the European national team tournaments.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Long_Bomb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Long_Bomb »

Joemanji is right I was planning on having teams of four. The number is largely based on the fact that most other events use the same size teams and I think most clubs should be able to assemble a team of four players, any more and some clubs may struggle to field a full team, any less and it may become a bit to elitist with only the best players from a club involved. One of the reasons I started to come round to the idea of the team event is that it means that it opens up the field a bit more to players and so I don’t want teams to be to selective.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

ARBBL = 3 :(

(Not that I'm saying we could make it anyway... :roll: )

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Any idea on dates yet...?

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

glowworm wrote:Any idea on dates yet...?
Ooops meant to edit that one....

Anywho, thats definatley do-able from this end.... ( Nazgob + Arthur, you reading this....)

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

somehow, i knew that was coming :D

Long_Bomb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Long_Bomb »

Darkson: If you do want to put in a team and can't fill it from ARBBL I'm sure we can find you a suitable ringer. I know a player from the Oxford Club who may be interested but probably woun't get anyone else down from the Club.

Glowworm/Nazgob: Good to hear, the Spiky guys are having a meeting on Monday to look at dates for the 2011 tournament calender which should throw up some options.