Dungeonbowl Project

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dungeonbowl Project

Post by yggdrasil »

Wow, that sounds very outdoorsy, well done!

Continuing with the intent to add more 3D features to the dungeon, here is the first of two Warhammer Quest gates that I modified to fit nicely into my modular dungeon layout. I think they will look very cool in the dungeon along with the chests and some statues.

Reason: ''
the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

Awesome door!

Doors I haven't thought much about myself. These definately look good though. How wide is that door?

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Looking great!
:D

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

the solitaire wrote:Awesome door!

Doors I haven't thought much about myself. These definately look good though. How wide is that door?
Thanks! I put the orc next to this door/gate for scale purposes, and it measures exactly 4cm from doorpost to doorpost. It worked out well so that the whole doorframe takes up three squares, and the middle square is the door area that you can move through.

These particular doorframes don't actually have doors in them, so can't be opened and closed, but the doors that daht has sent me should have. I'm imagining saying that it costs 3 squares of movement to open or close a door, just like it does to stand up, so that it is not a trivial thing to do. I like idea of the fun possibilities that doors might open up, like if a ball carrier is being chased by enemy players, he can sprint through an open door and then one of his teammates can close the door behind him, to slow down the pursuers, and stuff like that.

The dragon is still in progress, but now has a proper round base that takes up exactly 3x3 dungeon squares.

Daht
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Daht »

Yeah those doors have hinges and can be opened and shut, and fit in a single square (so most orc minis will not actually fit thru them, will have to move them around and make believe).

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Yeah, I figure that unlike the big gate above, the smaller doors will have to be built into a floor segment in between two squares, so that you can stand on either side of the door, but not actually stand in the door frame (since the frame wouldn't hold many models). I'm not 100% sure on how to make a floor segment like that, but I'm thinking just two adjacent squares with the door in between them might work in theory.

Daht
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Daht »

The door itself is the full square size, but the base will overlap some on adjacent squares, mostly the left/right side. Might be able to trim the bases, and use some device or trick to attach/detach them to the floor to avoid tipping over.

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

I have a plan for exactly that! We'll see how it goes.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

One doubt that came up a few days ago when I was toying with team design for DB with rules you've been working on: Would the "beastman" race include the Chaos Warriors, as "beastmen positionals"?
(Bull Centaurs, Deathrollers, etc, would them benefit from the same "it's in the team - it's from the race", kind of approach too?)

How about ghouls, Wights, etc., are they "skeleton", "zombie", or some other race?

One last thing, how about the Chaos Pact teams and the Animosity rule (because of the different races not trusting each other)?
Would using that make some sense between DB teams (between different races) or would we be adding too much confusion?

Bet you have thought about this too, so whats your take into it?
:)

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Axtklinge wrote:One doubt that came up a few days ago when I was toying with team design for DB with rules you've been working on: Would the "beastman" race include the Chaos Warriors, as "beastmen positionals"?
(Bull Centaurs, Deathrollers, etc, would them benefit from the same "it's in the team - it's from the race", kind of approach too?)

How about ghouls, Wights, etc., are they "skeleton", "zombie", or some other race?
Here we are getting into slightly dicey territory, because I can't really say. The lists I posted earlier aren't based on the normal BB team lists - they are based on my own home-made team lists which we use in all the games I play with my friends. So when I had Beastmen listed as a race, it refered to our Beastman team list, which contains different beastman positionals but no chaos humans. Chaos humans have their own team list.

The races Skeleton and Zombie are basically just the names I use for the (old) Khemri and Necromantic teams, because I think these official team names sound awful. So ghouls and wights are positionals on the Zombie team. Tomb guardians and mummies are positionals on the Skeleton team.

So I guess the answer is that the list of races for the team design rules would probably need some tweaking to work with the normal BB team lists.
Axtklinge wrote: One last thing, how about the Chaos Pact teams and the Animosity rule (because of the different races not trusting each other)?
Would using that make some sense between DB teams (between different races) or would we be adding too much confusion?

Bet you have thought about this too, so whats your take into it?
:)
You give me too much credit - I had not thought of that. Good question.

(The Animosity rule is something like that a player has to roll a 2+ to be able to pass or hand off the ball to a player from a different race, right?)

I can totally see Animosity adding a very interesting dimension to games between mixed-race Dungeonbowl teams, in that it makes you want to group players together based on racial lines, which both seems realistic and fun. It also introduces new considerations at the team building stage, as mono-race teams would actually have a small advantage over multi-race teams in that animosity wouldn't affect them.

It seems like it would be totally problem-free to institute that rule globally. So really, to me the only question is if we'd actually remember that the rule is in effect during the game. Passing between players of different races isn't something that's going to happen all the time, and if it only takes effect on a roll of 1, then it's going to be quite rare that it has an effect on the game I think. But since it seems fun and characterful, and it doesn't harm the game in any way if you happen to forget about it, I'm definitely in favour of using that rule or something similar for all teams.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Hi!
Just to let you know I've mentioned your thread in the Merry Mayhem News blog.
(Link: http://bloodbowlmayhem.blogspot.pt/2013 ... s-pt1.html)

Hope you dont mind.

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Axtklinge wrote:Hi!
Just to let you know I've mentioned your thread in the Merry Mayhem News blog.
(Link: http://bloodbowlmayhem.blogspot.pt/2013 ... s-pt1.html)

Hope you dont mind.
That's really cool, thank you! Is that your blog? If those are your DB board sections you posted, they look really great, well done.

Progress on the teams has gone into hibernation at the moment, but I did play a game recently, report below. Sorry for the crappy pictures.

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Played another game a few weeks ago, which I just now got round to writing up as a mini-report.

The setup was the Grey Shadows, undefeated so far in two games, vs. a newly started Storm Bolts in their first game (and not 100% painted). The Shadows were Chaos Humans, Snotlings and Ogres, and the Bolts were Dark Elves, Orcs and Skaven.

Layout of the dungeon was approximately as shown below.

The Bolts had the superior speed due to the Dark Elves and Skaven, and moved out quickly to tag most of the chests they could get to. As the Shadows moved slowly out of their end zone, they teleported in their Ogre and some Snotlings. The Bolts opened a few chests and tried to guard some of the others, but found no ball, although one of the chests transformed into a Minotaur (suspiciously dressed in Grim Reapers colours) who started rampaging around in the middle of the dungeon, tying up and beating up Orcs and Chaos Humans alike.

The Shadows rumble out of their end zone.

Early on, the Ogre and a Snotling started moving towards a DE Lineman further down a passageway. As he couldn’t reach him, the Ogre decided to grab the Snotling and hurl it at the Elf like a projectile weapon. The throw was unfortunately inaccurate, and the Snotling ended up landing straight into a pit trap that was a few feet away from the Elf. If only this was basketball and not Dungeonbowl! The poor Snotling obviously had to be teleported away for medical attention.

The Minotaur bellows with rage as he charges towards a Dark Elf.

However, a Snotling proved to be one of the stars of the game a few turns later. The Bolts could only open one chest per turn, and when there was only two chests left, a Snotling managed to sneak past a Dark Elf to open one of them, which held the ball. The Snotling then picked up the ball and threw it at a Chaos Warrior across a chasm and down a hallway. This was too far to throw because the ceiling of the dungeon was too low, so the ball hit the stone floor and bounced around – and ended up bouncing into the hands of the Chaos Warrior, who caught it. After a round of applause, play continued, and the Bolts sprinted back towards their end zone to try and defend it from two Chaos Warriors and the Ogre who started homing in to protect the ball.

A Shadows Thrower tries to grab a Bolts Skaven Runner, but an Orc Blitzer whacks him over the head.

A fierce scuffle of moving and fighting broke out, as the Bolts kept blocking off the interceptors and attacking the ball carrier, but they just didn’t have the strength needed. One of the Chaos Warriors ended up thumping a DE Runner so hard that he broke his neck, sending him to the morgue rather than the apothecary. A few moments later, and the Shadows had their third victory.

A disastrous start for this incarnation of the Storm Bolts – with a dead Elf, no star player points at all, and only gaining 20,000 gold in revenue from the game, they were disbanded by their coach and will have to regroup at a later time with new funding. The Shadows carve another notch in their belt and continue onwards to new success, as they recruit a new Lineman to get a full lineup of 16 players and one of the Chaos Warriors having learned Mighty Blow during the game.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Thank you for a nice report!

The dungeon looks very cool with those 3D elements (statues and all).
Might end up 'borrowing' the idea and do a couple for my own...
;)

Do you build different layouts for the dungeon every game or do you have any sort of sketch to be able to copy "past dungeons"?

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

Very cool dungeon!

I really like the layout :D
Thnx for the report as well.

I´m still in the process of trying to find an opponent to have a go with my dungeon board :p

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem