Dungeonbowl Project

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Rewslaun
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dungeonbowl Project

Post by Rewslaun »

This thread is amazing. Keep up the great work.

Reason: ''
yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Thanks! :D

I've been doing a little more work on the dragon, which is basically finished now. I'm considering doing something more with the wings, but I'm not sure.

I don't know why the pictures always turn out so yellow when I shoot him. Maybe I will try daylight next time.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

The dragon looks great, congrats!
:D

I see your doubts about the wings...
They are nice transparent and all, but at the same time the look a bit too "fairy" for the the big guy he is!
Not sure what I would do if it was mine. Tough call.

About the pics, have tried to correct the colour in photoshop or some prog. of the sorts?
Other then that, daylight may help, but avoid direct exposure to the sun (light too strong, and will make the pic too bright, loosing plenty of painting details).

Oh, and on last thing, love your latest addictions to the dungeon (elves, troll), and specially the tentacle dude!
Can't wait to see it panted (and some stats for it)!
Cheers!
A.

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Waah! I already finished the tentacle guy, I can't believe I forgot to post him here. Here he is with his buddies.

I also just finished a new Dryad - the old ones just started to look too plain to me so I bought a couple of the new plastic ones instead.

I do usually brighten up my photos in a photo editor when they turn out too dark, but making them less yellow is hard. Brightening up a yellow photo just makes it a really light yellow! Sometimes it's totally fine though, like the monsters above. I just don't get it.

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

I also have some rules comments/questions. Firstly, I've attached a file to this post which should have all the rules for monsters that we are currently using.

Secondly, I have extensively rewritten our leaping rules. Basically, a couple of problems added up and felt like they needed a combined solution. The first problem was that using our rules, a player can be pushed off a high ledge and land on another player. We needed rules for how to resolve this. Secondly, it seems logical that if a player tries to leap over a chasm, but fails the roll, he should fall into the chasm. However, the current rules don't support landing in any square that you are trying to leap over. So these problems needed addressing.

The solution I came up with was to adjust the leaping rules, and institute rules for what happens when a player lands on another player. The leaping rules now have the effect that a player must leap at least two squares, but can leap more up to their ST value. As before, leaping if you don't have the Leap skill is an AG-1 roll. Each extra square after the first two gives an extra -1 penalty. If the leap roll fails, the player lands on one of the squares they were trying to leap over. This will then result in them landing on top of the player they were trying to jump over, if that's what they were doing. Whether the player on the bottom will be knocked over or not depends on a size relationship chart - a minotaur trying to jump over a human will always knock them down, but a goblin jumping over a minotaur won't. Obviously, the player who failed the roll is always knocked down, and if they land in an occupied square, you have to roll for scatter until you find an empty square for them to land in.

I'll post the full rules text (which is on my work computer) in a few days, but wanted to summarise quickly if anyone has any thoughts. I especially can't decide if leaping should be affected by TZ modifiers. Part of me says yes, the other no. No, because the leap skill has always ignored TZs in 3rd edition. Yes, because in DB, everyone can leap, but leaping is supposed to be for getting over obstacles and such, not an easy alternative to dodging. I don't like the idea that all elves will want to leap all the time just to get around TZ penalties. Argh!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

To be less yellow, you have to make them more blue. Look for color balance tools.

Some programs have tools to correct things even faster, if you can give them a neutral color reference (something that should be white - grey - black). Others have a color variations tool, presenting multiple previews, and you can click the one you like more, until happy.

Lychanthrope
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lychanthrope »

How did you get the dragon wings to look like that?

siggyllama
Veteran
Veteran

Post by siggyllama »

Look for a white-balance option in the menu of your camera. I've also gotten better color representation by using the nighttime setting indoors.

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Thanks for the camera tips! The dragon wings came the way they look now originally, so my debate is whether to paint them over or not.

Here are the rules for leaping that I was threatening to post earlier.

Expanded Rules for Leaping
The nature of playing in a dungeon makes the game of Dungeonbowl suited to having more flexible options for moving around on the game board than is normally found in the Blood Bowl rules. This is reflected in how the original Dungeonbowl rules had added rules, which at that time were not present in the core Blood Bowl rules, for how to leap over prone players and chasms. The fact that dungeons could feature chasms, and that dungeons would often have narrow passages that could easily get clogged up with players, meant that being able to leap over these obstacles greatly improved the mobility aspect of the gameplay.
Since then, the act of leaping was imported into the Blood Bowl Third Edition rules in the form of a special skill that players could acquire. However, for the purposes of Dungeonbowl, the gameplay improvement factor requires all players to have access to this option for maximum effect. Therefore, the following rules are suggested as an addition to the normal core rules for moving as found in the Blood Bowl rulebook. These rules can also be used for normal Blood Bowl games if you wish, though they are not of as much value to that game as they are to Dungeonbowl.

How to Leap
Leaping is a special type of movement that any player can make while moving once during their turn. When a player elects to leap, they must first choose what square they wish to leap to. The chosen square must be within a number of squares from the starting square equal to or less than the player’s ST characteristic, with a minimum leap distance of two squares. The leap uses up a number of points of movement equal to the number of squares moved, where the movement path is defined as any path that leads from the starting square to the target square moving through the least possible amount of squares. So a player with ST 2 can leap two squares, a player with ST 4 can leap between two and four squares, and so on, provided the player has sufficient movement points left to move the full distance. The path from the starting square to the chosen square can pass through either occupied or unoccupied squares, and over chasms or normal-sized obstacles. The only restriction is that a player cannot leap through walls or obstacles deemed to reach the ceiling. Also note that the magical effect of teleporters is only activated when you step on one, so a player can leap over a teleporter square without getting teleported away mid-leap.
Once the target square has been chosen, the player must roll to see if the leap is successful. The basic roll to leap two squares is an AG roll -1, with an additional -1 for each additional square beyond the initial two. This roll is not modified by opposing tackle zones on either the starting square or the target square.
If the roll is successful, assuming the target square is unoccupied, the leaping player lands on his feet in the target square. If the target square is occupied, the player lands on that square, but is knocked down and has to roll for scatter to see which unoccupied square they eventually end up knocked down in. If the square they landed on was occupied by a player, as opposed to an obstacle, then that player may be knocked down – see the Player Collisions section below.
If the roll is not successful, the player doesn’t make the distance. The player lands in one of the squares he was trying leap over – randomly determine which one if more than one – and is knocked down. If he lands on a square containing a player, see the Player Collisions section below for the possible consequences.

Expanded Leaping and Skills
When using these rules, the Leap skill has to be modified slightly to take the new options into account, although the rules have been designed so the basic functionality of the Leap skill is exactly the same as when using it without using the expanded rules for leaping as explained above.
The Leap skill gives the player a +1 modifier when making a leap roll. Additionally, if the roll is failed, a player with the Leap skill will always end up one square further along the path of the leap than a player without the skill before getting knocked down. This means that when a Leap player leaps two squares, they will always end up in the square they were jumping to before they are knocked down. If they are leaping three or more squares, they will end up in the target square if they roll the furthest distance when randomly determining their landing point (since the last square before the target is extended by one, which means it hits the target).

Player Collisions
When playing Dungeonbowl using the extended rules found on these pages, there are various ways that a player (or a chest) can land on another player, including leaping, throwing, and falling off ledges. For this reason, the following supplementary rules are required to explain how exactly to handle these situations.
A player who is thrown, leaps, or falls into a square containing another player will automatically be knocked down, and then has to roll for scatter to see where they end up. To determine the fate of the player being hit, consult the guidelines below.
All models in a dungeon belong to a Weight Category based on their model size and special rules. The categories are, from smallest to largest:

Titchy (models with the Titchy characteristic, e.g. Snotlings)
Stunty (models with the Stunty characteristic, e.g. Goblins, Halflings)
Normal (normal sized players, e.g. Orcs, Elves, Dwarfs, Humans)
Big Guy (models with ST 5 or higher and with a negative characteristic trait, e.g. Minotaurs and Trolls – not Mummies, Werewolves or Centaurs)
Huge (models that take up more than one square in the dungeon, e.g. particularly huge wandering monsters like Dragons and Manticores)

• If a model lands on someone of a lower Weight Category, they will automatically knock them down.
• If a model lands on someone of the same Weight Category as themselves, the impacted model will be knocked down on a D6 roll of 2+.
• If a model lands on someone of a higher Weight Category than themselves, the impacted model will be knocked down on a D6 roll of 4+.
• If a model lands on someone that is two or more Weight Categories bigger than themselves, the impacted model will never be knocked down.

When a player uses the Throw Team-mate skill to throw a player into another player, the thrown player counts as being one Weight Category higher than they actually are.
Dungeon chests count as belonging to the Normal Weight Category, and have their category increased by one when thrown as described above.

anc001
Experienced
Experienced

Post by anc001 »

I love the rules of wandering monsters, that's been on my to-do list too.
:)

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

New today is a new Ogre for the Grey Shadows, plus a new selection of traps.

The traps I am really happy about - we played a game with them (or rather an unpainted version of them) last week, and it was really fun. The most amusing part was that we tended to forget the traps were there and accidentally made our players step on them (for the other player to point out), which seemed perfectly in harmony with the nature of traps. Rules beneath the picture. The two black ones are duds with no effect. :)

Dungeonbowl Traps

Traps are a traditional feature of most dungeons, and a favourite of fans of all ages. What proper dungeon doesn’t house a collection of deadly traps, and a dragon or two?

To use traps in games of Dungeonbowl, you first need to make a collection of trap tokens. Trap tokens should be blank or otherwise identical on one side, and have an illustration of the type of trap it represents on the other side, just like how the chest counters have a chest icon on one side and either a ball or an explosion on the other side. There is no fixed number or specific types of traps needed for these rules, the users can make up the composition of their trap collection any way they like.

Once you have the tokens, at the beginning of a game, the players should agree on whether to use traps or not. If they choose to use traps in the game, they should then agree how many traps the game should feature – about 12 will give you enough for them to be a general nuisance without disrupting the game too much. Choose the traps with the blank side up, and distribute them in the dungeon in the same way as chest counters, with the players taking turns choosing where to place each trap. As with the chest counters, the nature of each trap should be unknown to both players until it is revealed.

Trap counters should be considered to represent special dungeon tiles that are primed to trigger a trap when stepped on. When the first model moves or is pushed onto a trap square during the game, the trap counter is revealed, and the trap effects are triggered. Some traps remain in play after being revealed, while others are a one-time only effect. The following list provides a selection of trap types that can be used, but players are encouraged to modify these or make up their own.

Pit Traps
The simplest kind of trap is just a trap door leading to a pit. Pit traps stay in place after being revealed. Any player moved onto a pit square falls in, which counts as being pushed off a ledge (i.e. the player is knocked down and must make an armour roll to avoid injury). Once a player is in a pit, he then has to climb out again. Climbing out takes up a full movement activation, and requires a successful AG roll. This roll gets +1 for each friendly player that is adjacent to the pit and not in an opponent’s tackle zone. If the roll fails, the player has to stay in the pit for another turn. Balls can never fall into pits, and simply scatter over them.

Spiked Pit Traps
Spiked pit traps are just like the pit traps described above, except that the armour roll caused by falling into the pit is made with a +3 modifier.

Exploding Traps
This trap type is identical to the traps built into exploding chests. A player moving onto an exploding trap square is knocked down, as are all players in adjacent squares. An exploding trap is removed after being triggered.

Gas Traps
Similar to the exploding trap, the gas trap instead releases a cloud of noxious gas. The triggering player and all players in adjacent squares are automatically stunned. Players with a ST of 5 or more have some natural resistance, and are only stunned on a roll of 4+ on a D6. On a 1-3, the player is unaffected.

Teleporter Traps
A teleporter trap will teleport away any player that moves onto it, moving the player onto one of the numbered teleporters in the dungeon as randomly determined by a dice roll. Teleporter traps remain in play after being revealed.

Also, with 13 players now painted, the Storm Bolts are ready to field and to have a proper group shot.

DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

Really like `em, but would like to see some close-ups. You just get to see Dungeon-Bowl-Teams too rarely nowadays.

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Cheers, I do have some closeups kicking around... there is this post: viewtopic.php?p=658365#p658365

And here are some more that should be in the thread already somewhere but that I can't find just now.

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

This is a water-board section I made recently to complement the lava boards. My thinking is that it costs two squares of movement to move off a water square, and AG rolls have a -1 modifier when on a water square.

And a few more new models.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Really cool looking water board!
What are those numbered "wooden boxes" in the same pic? Are those the traps?

You should feed us a pic with ALL the DB boards on it... does it still fits on a "regular" table?
;)

Like your new players too (thumbs up for that chainsaw conversion).

Cheers!
A.