Dungeonbowl Project

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dungeonbowl Project

Post by yggdrasil »

Hey Axt, sorry for missing your reply. :) The wooden box things are meant to represent "secret passages", i.e. squares that you can move through to get into a separate section of the dungeon. We actually played a game not long ago where we used the water board and the passages, I'll get that posted here too.

Taking a picture with all the current boards laid out is a good idea, I'll look into that! Though currently, instead of making new ones, I am making new designs on the backs of existing board sections.

The trap counters actually have a weird twist to them. The first time we used them we discovered that if the unrevealed counters look a lot like the other tiles on the board, then sometimes a coach will move a player onto them without noticing. If the opposing coach then has his wits about him, he can then stop the moving player and point out that the player just stepped on a trap. It's not the kind of gameplay you'd normally find in BB, but this way the traps can actually function like real traps, and we think that is really cool.

Reason: ''
yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Game Report! War Hawks vs Blood Axes, 27/09/2013.

Red team vs. Yellow team. The dungeon setup is shown below, and had two halves which were connected by two lava sections. In addition to having hot lava, the connecting areas were also booby-trapped, making them very difficult to cross safely. Underneath the dungeon ran a basement section accessible through secret passages, which was flooded with water and contained two chests and a teleporter.

Dungeon Setup

The Hawks won the first turn and moved swiftly through the dungeon opening chests while the Axes were slowly moving out of their zone, which was slightly further away from the center. However, the second and third chests opened by the Hawks both morphed into wandering monsters, first a Hell Hound and then a Stone Golem. Two Orcs started moving into the basement level through the secret passages, and a Human Bomber teleported down there with them, opening an exploding chest.

The Axes move out, after a Hawk Ogre has opened an exploding chest.

Orcs move into the flooded basement as a Human has just opened yet another exploding chest.

After a few scraps with the monsters up above, the Hawks started backing away and tried to get up to one of the two lava zones that allowed passage to the Axes' side of the dungeon. Not to be deterred, the Golem gave chase and blitzed the Hawk Centaur, smashing him into the lava and knocking him down.

To be continued. :)

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

At this point, things got odd. While the Hawks and Axes were facing off across the lava, the Hawks reeling from the Golem attack, the Hell Hound moved up and attacked the closest target, which happened to be the Golem. The Golem being the stronger monster, the Hell Hound was fended off and injured, driven off in disgrace. The Golem then turned and attacked a Chaos Dwarf Blitzer, but in a display of poor coordination, the Golem ended up smashing itself to pieces trying to get at the dwarf. All of a sudden, both monsters were gone as swiftly as they appeared.

The Hound attacks the Golem with the Centaur eating lava.

The War Hawks then turned to face their opponents. Trying to cross the lava, one Orc Lineman fell to the heat. An Orc Blitzer successfully crossed the lava and attacked an Axe Catcher, but failed to make an impact, and the Axes were blocking the rest from advancing too far. Still being close to the lava stream and clumped up, the counter attack from the Axes sent several Hawks back into the flames and KO'd, including their Centaur, and leaving the Hawk attack force decimated.

Meanwhile, an Orc Blitzer and Lineman had gone into the basement level and faced off down there between a Human Blitzer and a Human Bomber. The Human Blitzer had ST4 and was a formidable opponent, and fended off the opposition. He turned and opened the second chest, which morphed into another Stone Golem! The Golem's fist caught him by surprise, and smashed him to the ground, breaking his neck and killing him instantly. The Orcs looked on in horror and started backing away.

Up above, the Hawks had started regrouping at the centre of the dungeon, led by their Ogre and the Centaur who had been dabbed with the magic sponge and had come back from the injury box and teleported back in. However, the Axes teleported in some Dwarf Longbeards, led by a Longbeard with ST4, who managed by clever positioning to keep the Hawks boxed into a corner and unable to get out until it was too late.

The Hawks are boxed in.

The Axes up by the lava crossing now had control of the very last chest, and naturally opened it to claim the ball. After a fumble by a Norse Blitzer, a Dwarf Runner grabbed the ball, but the players had big problems as none of them wanted to cross the lava which they had to navigate to get to the Hawks' end zone - the lava which had previously been the Hawks' undoing. In the end, a heroic Human Blizer (player number 1) made a leap across the lava squares and landed nimbly on the other side. The booby trap that was blocking passage here had had the last Chaos Dwarf pushed into it, and had turned out to be a spiked pit trap, and he was therefore in no position to stop the Axes. After the Blitzer had leapt across the lava, the Dwarf Runner passed the ball to him, and the Blitzer ran for the enemy end zone where he scored a few turns later.

The Axes have the ball and are moving out in force.

After the game the Axes replaced their lost Blitzer and the Hawks saved up their earnings. This is yet another loss for the Hawks, who have yet to win a game!

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

The Comets now have their first 11 finished and deserve a group shot. I am quite happy with the blue-purple colour scheme.

Lard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lard »

The Comets looks great. Blue, purple, white as a combination of colors is something I will have to borrow for some team in the future.

Aino
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aino »

The Comets look really nice!
Well done

Fighting signature size creep ;)
yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Thanks! For Axt, here is a shot of all the two-dimensional board sections I have all put together, and laid out on my bed. Unfortunately my bedsheet is grey and similar to the darker dungeon tiles, but I hope it looks reasonable anyway. Maybe I'll suggest that we play with all the tiles put together like this some day, like in a big open cavern.

One thing I notice is that the red and blue areas are a bit too starkly contrasted to the other sections. I might go back and try and smooth out the very dark contrast on those tiles.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Nah, the red and blue are fine. Red is magma after all. If you want to change the blue, change it to dirty green (it's a dungeon, not a spa).

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

That's a good suggestion. It's already pretty dirty, but I agree that it still looks too blue. I've given it a wash of chestnut ink to green it up a bit now.

Even though I'm not 100% finished with the initial 10 dungeonbowl teams, I sneakily started looking around at some of my older BB teams that are still WIPs, and thinking of which ones I could turn into future dungeonbowl teams. The first models I found were for a zombie team, so I've finished a few of them to make a start on the Cadavers. My plan is to combine them with mummies and chaos warriors for a new dark college team.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

:)
Nice stuff (as always), and cool colour scheme for those Cadavers!

Do you use some sort of varnish after painting the minis?
Just asking because in some pics they do look like they are somehow "shiny".

A.

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Cadavers look great, but Dark College doesn't get Chaos Warriors, and Grey College doesn't get zombies. Unless you re-wrote your own colleges?? :-?

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Thank you. :orc:
Axtklinge wrote::)
Do you use some sort of varnish after painting the minis?
Just asking because in some pics they do look like they are somehow "shiny".
I can't really see that myself, but I do normally varnish them with a matt varnish I've had for untold years.

Norse wrote:Cadavers look great, but Dark College doesn't get Chaos Warriors, and Grey College doesn't get zombies. Unless you re-wrote your own colleges?? :-?
I have, instead of being limited to three specific set races, I wrote a system where each college gets to choose its three races from five different race options that can be combined as they see fit. That's what these are based on. I have have a skaven/beastman team in the works.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

BTW I forgot to comment on the board sections...
Quite a big dungeon you have there already, but its cool so you don't have to use the same rooms every game.
yggdrasil wrote:(...)
One thing I notice is that the red and blue areas are a bit too starkly contrasted to the other sections. I might go back and try and smooth out the very dark contrast on those tiles.
Either that, or you can give a dark wash to (some of) the lighter tiles (I mean, get the bottom darker, but keep the 'glued' tiles around the same shade of grey), and make the dungeon look a bit darker .

Do you have any special rules for the 'different' rooms (the circle rainbow colored one, or the one with the chaos logo in the center), or it's just for the sake of variety?

yggdrasil
Veteran
Veteran

Post by yggdrasil »

Axtklinge wrote:Either that, or you can give a dark wash to (some of) the lighter tiles (I mean, get the bottom darker, but keep the 'glued' tiles around the same shade of grey), and make the dungeon look a bit darker .

Do you have any special rules for the 'different' rooms (the circle rainbow colored one, or the one with the chaos logo in the center), or it's just for the sake of variety?
Darker (i.e. high contrast) is also an option, but I ended up going with the lightening and I think it worked pretty well. I think the lower contrast makes it look a bit more natural and organic.

The room with the red spiky circle is just meant to be a normal room, but I did write some special rules for the magic circle room. The idea is that all the ten colours of magic are represented, and if a player is standing on a square that contains the colour of his college sponsors, he gets +1 ST, Stand Firm, and access to activate a once per game spell stored within the circle, which can force all the other players in the dungeon to go prone or stand up. We've only used it in one game so far but it seems to have intriguing possibilities.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

your putting so much wok into this project, why no get those 3d tiles?

Rick Sanchez lives!