'Finishing' the 3rd ed teams

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Given the artistic licence showed by many in the blood bowl model world I am surprised no one has popped up with models to 'finish' the 3rd ed GW teams. For examples two more poses of black orcs, a blitzer, a thrower and 3 more linemen for the orc team. Basically models in the same styles to fill out the team positions.

Certainly I would like to 'complete' the teams (though I would then have a lot of spare models).

Reason: ''
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Re: 'Finishing' the 3rd ed teams

Post by bound for glory »

good idea.
i've lately taken a break from buying new teams and have gone back to some old teams i have and have been filling out the roster and making the team complete. i hate going on ebay and paying stupid money on 3rd ed teams figures. but i'm a completist, so thats what i've planned on for the rest of 2015.
ofcourse, all bets are off once impact! starts releasing their troll forged teams... :lol:

Rick Sanchez lives!
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Chris wrote:Given the artistic licence showed by many in the blood bowl model world I am surprised no one has popped up with models to 'finish' the 3rd ed GW teams. For examples two more poses of black orcs, a blitzer, a thrower and 3 more linemen for the orc team. Basically models in the same styles to fill out the team positions.

Certainly I would like to 'complete' the teams (though I would then have a lot of spare models).
Well part of the issue may be that GW's 3rd edition range is mostly hideous. Sadly Bloodbowl was released at one of the worst times for sculpting as GW produced a lot of rubbish stuff across the board.

4th/5th Edition was a but of a mixed bag with some great models like the Vampireteam, human team, zara and Ramtut as well as some of the worst such as Hubris and Jordell.

I have seen a few companies try to capture the feel of 2nd edition, maybe that would be an idea? Come out with sculpts to fill in the gaps such as witch elves or slayers.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

spubbbba wrote:
Chris wrote:Given the artistic licence showed by many in the blood bowl model world I am surprised no one has popped up with models to 'finish' the 3rd ed GW teams. For examples two more poses of black orcs, a blitzer, a thrower and 3 more linemen for the orc team. Basically models in the same styles to fill out the team positions.

Well part of the issue may be that GW's 3rd edition range is mostly hideous.
That's kind of funny. With the exception of the awful Wood Elves, the 3rd ed minis are some of my favorite BB minis around. Guess it takes all kinds. :)

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Brage97
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brage97 »

I'm certainly not a 3rd ed fan.

I think High Elves, Orcs, Skaven and Undead are ok (still not flawless), but most of the other teams just leave me cold.

TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

The dark elves and high elves at 3rd edition are particularly bland.

The Daventry League: Pitchblack Stealers http://www.level10.org/BloodBowl/index.php?section=main
Proud Owner of the TFF Minisorca Vikings Legacy 2011 viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36011
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

Maybe it's because I rediscovered blood bowl through Cyanide, and their players look similar, but I really like most of the 3rd edition models. Guess different people like different things. 2nd edition Skaven are the best though!

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

I think there are individual minis from third that are nice etc but I think it comes down to a sense of feeling. Until recently enough gw was the only brand of minis most would ever come into contact with for BB. Therefore they are the minis you remember fondly when you were so excited about playing this new game, regardless of they actually were dull and or bad sculpts

evenflow123
Experienced
Experienced

Post by evenflow123 »

For me it's GW (and 3rd edition at that) only. Love all the models. sure some of the linemen are a little static but for the most part I think they are fantastic.
Dark Elf Blitzers, metal Orc team, Halflings (all of them) Skaven team, Wood elf Catchers and Throwers and regular Undead team being my favorites.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

Yeah, I'm a fan of 3E as well. The best thing about them for me is the differentiation between positions--with the exception of the Amazons, who I guess really aren't 3rd Edition anyway, GW teams all have players that are easy to identify. I feel like that should be the #1 consideration for game mini design: does it make it as easy as possible to play the game?

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

Wifflebat wrote:Yeah, I'm a fan of 3E as well. The best thing about them for me is the differentiation between positions--with the exception of the Amazons, who I guess really aren't 3rd Edition anyway, GW teams all have players that are easy to identify. I feel like that should be the #1 consideration for game mini design: does it make it as easy as possible to play the game?
+1

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

The 3rd ed model range was pretty awful for the most parts. There were a few ok figures, but mostly meh! I'd rather the indies concentrated on making great new figures than waste time on making sculpts for teams they've already surpassed.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

can't really beat the 3rd ed orc blitzers. i think they are ace.

Rick Sanchez lives!
cdwat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by cdwat »

bound for glory wrote:can't really beat the 3rd ed orc blitzers. i think they are ace.
I have to agree there.
The other Orc minis are rather meh, but the Blitzers are perfect (once you cut off the sun thing on their shoulders).

Hucker73
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hucker73 »

It's a nice idea but expand it to include star players as well and I think you're onto something.

With that new remit, expand the idea once again (going off topic, but can be continued in it's own thread) would be teams from independent manufacturers which would benefit from similar 'finishing'.

Shame it'll never get further than this for a variety of reasons, but nice idea.