How to pimp a 2nd Edition Astrogranite® pitch

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

So, I have acquired a lovely 2nd edition Astrogranite® pitch.

It has not been tempered with so far, but I plan to change that. For obvious reasons I will have to add some white lines for wide zones and the LOS.
Question is: How do I go about it? And what colours can you recommend?
How did you pimp your Astrogranite® pitch?

Reason: ''
"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
Chris
Legend
Legend

Re: How to pimp a 2nd Edition Astrogranite® pitch

Post by Chris »

Mine was for my old 2nd ed skeleton team. So I just made the skull mostly white, eyes and teeth red and pitch done as bone (black up to bleached bone with lots of drybrushing). I was only 14 or so at the though :)

So dotted lines and that would be good. Do you want it to be astrogranite, or do you want to plant some static grass?

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

well, in the 2nd ed rule book, it says that astrogranite comes in HUNDERDS of colors, so, you could use your home teams uniform color and use that on the pitch.
i have mine in a subdued purple, to go with my first chaos team, THE DEATH VALLY DESTROYERS.
have fun with it. :D

Rick Sanchez lives!
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

bound for glory wrote:well, in the 2nd ed rule book, it says that astrogranite comes in HUNDERDS of colors...
I was actually thinking greyish colourwise... but you're right, the fluff opens up possibilities. Thanks for the hint!

Apart from that, how do I paint the polysterine without mucking it up? Can't soak it in Dettol if I don't like the result, can I?

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

i just watered the purple paint(in my case) to a very thin consistancy. then a nice drybrushing...

Rick Sanchez lives!
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Do you want to seal it to get rid of the look of polystyrene? (Though of course Astrogranite is very similar in appearance to polystyrene.)

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

I do like the "rugged" look of the polysterene and would like to keep it. Again, I have no clue as how to be doing so.

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

do they still sell masonry paint with fine sand already mixed thru it?? back when I worked for GW we used that stuff all the time to seal polystyrene scenery, otherwise spray paint propellants would melt the stuff. of course, if you have an airbrush, you don't have to worry about that... :)

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

Chris wrote:Do you want to seal it to get rid of the look of polystyrene? (Though of course Astrogranite is very similar in appearance to polystyrene.)
I thought it looked exactly like polystyrene :)

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

I took a wide Testors plastic brush, an appropriate color of green airbrush paint that was on sale, started on one end and drug the brush till the paint became nothing... then went back to the spot where it didn't look green enough and repeated the process.... Looked darn near like grass....

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Actually remembered I had it in a cupboard not packed away.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435343384.823196.jpg
Pretty much the first blood bowl thing I painted and my skill hasn't improved in the last couple of decades!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I'd be really tempted to build a simple wooden frame to make sure the pieces all stayed snugly together during gaming. If it's made of polystyrene, it will probably shift around very easily..

I've never actually seen one of these boards in the flesh. If anyone has one they want to sell, drop me a PM..

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

You get those pages of adhesive pads from pound shops. Pop 4 on each board no movement. but I don't use it as big guys don't fit, really only suitable for things like 2nd ed skaven team and my old skelly team.

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Okay, Chris, how did you do your pitch? Is just drybrushing and some washes?

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I was 12 and got the game using a discount voucher from white dwarf...

Since I still paint the same way though, that's not a problem to answer :) I was still learning to drybrush which is why you see streaks on it.

It was painted black (using some paint found in a pot in the shed), heavy drybrush brown, then bleached bone, then a very light skull white. The same way as the skeletons I had just painted, following the guide from white dwarf...

In retrospect today I don't like the little round circle on each square from the forming process. Another kid in school put artex all over his to try and hide the polystyrene look.

If I were doing it today I would probably with fine sandpaper try to reduce the circles and raised dots, then seal with watered down PVC, probably several coats. Then paint and drybrush away (my drybrushing has improved). That assumes no transit. If it was going to move around something to both seal and protect the polystyrene from damage would be needed, though it held up to my school bag fairly well!