Age of Sigmar

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dfunkateer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Age of Sigmar

Post by dfunkateer »

Woah :o Well played Mantic :D That's a reasonably big "up yours" to Grandma Wendy!

As a slightly miffed WHFB-er, I haven't written off AoS (yet), but last night I was coincidentally watching a game of KoW on youtube, downloaded the rules for KoW1 and signed up for the mailing list about KoW2......

Anyway, as a Bloodbowler who know's what it's like to play a game that isn't supported by GW anymore, I think a lot of WHFB-ers are spitting their dummys a bit early. Nobody's stopping them playing 8th ed, are they?

Reason: ''
"He's a better player than he looks." Geggster about Dfunkateer, Stone Bowl 2018.

howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Shteve0 wrote:
spubbbba wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there were not some more detailed Sigmarines coming in the not too distant future. Their other starter sets were in largely monopose positions and converting was difficult. I suspect in part to make it easy for beginners to assemble them as well as being easier to cast.
This. I wouldn't read to much into it at this stage.
Spoke to a GW store minion at lunchtime...they are expecting multi-part poseable (similar to existing model types) Sigmarines in the not too distant future.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Loki wrote:
Shteve0 wrote:
spubbbba wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there were not some more detailed Sigmarines coming in the not too distant future. Their other starter sets were in largely monopose positions and converting was difficult. I suspect in part to make it easy for beginners to assemble them as well as being easier to cast.
This. I wouldn't read to much into it at this stage.
Spoke to a GW store minion at lunchtime...they are expecting multi-part poseable (similar to existing model types) Sigmarines in the not too distant future.
Yep, pics have been showing up already. They look pretty decent, will have to see what costs are and what you get on the spruces.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

This guy seems to like it... and it seems like it's gotten rid of what deterred me from playing it in the first place: the figure count. http://scatterbrainedwargamer.blogspot. ... igmar.html

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Saw this on another forum and realised that these Sigmarines would with minimal work make great Chaos Warrior types as well.Without the weapons and shield and with an appropriate paint job I can really see this on a BB pitch:

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

A 40mm pitch...

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

AoS just tells me that BB and traditional high fantasy has been properly abandoned by Greedy....

*shrug*

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Digger Goreman wrote:AoS just tells me that BB and traditional high fantasy has been properly abandoned by Greedy....

*shrug*
To me, AoS says that the tone deaf, arrogant, dinosaur juggernaut that is GW is actually a mortal entity and can no longer pour out minor changes to the same product and expect to loot the wallets and purses of middle class parents of teenage boys worldwide. A humbled GW makes me happy, and I’m hoping we’ll see a better corporate citizen in the world of table top gaming – although I’m not holding my breath.

And I agree, it pretty much guarantees that there’ll be no Blood Bowl re-boot anytime soon, even if the AoS experiment fails.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Fassbinder75 wrote:To me, AoS says that the tone deaf, arrogant, dinosaur juggernaut that is GW is actually a mortal entity and can no longer pour out minor changes to the same product and expect to loot the wallets and purses of middle class parents of teenage boys worldwide.
While I'm in a camp that still quite likes GW, my mates and I gave up on the incremental rules changes a little while ago for both WHFB and 40k. I think its actually a quite positive thing for GW and gamers. You can settle on a set of WHFB rules that can now be played ad infinitum with mates / at gaming clubs, while the new game is a marked difference and could encourage additional sales.

Its the first GW rules release in a while that has raised my interest, albeit I'm still unlikely to buy anything new related to it, but that is mostly related to the amount of time I have available for gaming.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I would never have got my kids into WHFB because of the figure count, AOS has piqued my interest.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

I just can't see any thrill of AoS. To me the excitement with WHFB was clashing large mundane armies against each other on the board more than playing a well designed tactical game.

The prepare/play/pack- time was a problem and part of what made me quit. But what made me stay away was the rules creating an everincreasing focus on elite unit/characters & combo hunting that made most rank&file units and weaponcombinations something best left on the shelf and in the same breath made the game less tactical.

AoS, with its "lets gets a handfull Griff and Morgs to play each other, screw the linemens"-design, is for sure not for me. While fixing the minor issues AoS also destroys the incentatives that would take me back to occationaly playing some fantasy battles. What Mantic is doing rulewise, seems like a more intruiging direction to me.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Like any corporate cancer, Greedy will only "change" when forced to.... The Chamberlains will tell us how benign she is, and the Quislings will fawn at her side... giving their "stock" answers and cash to her cause... at the peril of games and gaming.... A tiger tank can't change its treads.... :P

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

spubbbba wrote:Yep, pics have been showing up already. They look pretty decent, will have to see what costs are and what you get on the spruces.
Apparently 5 for £30 and come with 'an embarrisment of swords and hammers'.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

sann0638 wrote:I would never have got my kids into WHFB because of the figure count, AOS has piqued my interest.
If you are scared by the figure count, there are better skirmish games such as Mordheim and Necromunda.
AOS is the most dumbed down ruleset I've ever seen (I started with WHFB 4th edition).