Question about "counts as"

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Question about "counts as"

Post by nonumber »

Hi guys,

I'd like to put a question out to the community before I start my next project. I'm thinking of putting together a kind of "allied" team, playing with the Dwarf rules (boo) but with a mix of races.

Essentially the long beards would still be dwarfs, the blitzers will more than likely still be dwarfs, but I was thinking of using norse figures for the runners and ulfwerners for the troll slayers. And at the moment I am thinking willy miniatures werewolves to rep the ulfwerners.

In my head the team looks like a nicely unified team and I don't personally think it's too much of a push to think of this lot coming together. I wanted to get some opinion on if there's any body out there who'd object to playing against these miniatures in a tournament scenario on the grounds that I've committed the heinous crime of putting two races together.

Reason: ''
"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Question about "counts as"

Post by Regash »

I met a lot of people using proxies, not only in Blood Bowl but any type of game.
Magic, Warhammer... You name it!

I'm not a fan of proxies. I like the WYSIWYG approach.
A dwarf is a dwarf is a dwarf.
In the end, it depends on your opponents. If they are fine with it, go on.

I really love converted teams, even like them better as the original GW teams.
But still, they should be recognizable. But that's just me, like I said, if your opponent is fine with it, do it.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

As long as the minis are easily recognisable for your opponent I would have no issues at my tourneys.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb @ gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

One of the advantages we have in BB is set rosters so you know there won't be vikings and snow wolves in a dwarf team. As long as the positions can be identified from each other I would not count it as a problem. It would be easier to remember the difference in this proposed team than many regular ones.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

All good. As you describe is fine, there are some ready associations there (werewolf players have frenzy and represent the frenzy players etc). It starts to become a problem for me with confusing or arbitrary memory tricks; like 'the white werewolf and the vampire are wights, the brown werewolf and the wight are ghouls' or 'the ones with the blue and the red fronds are catchers and the three with swords and the one with the yellow frond are blitzers'

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

Possible issues could be playing against newer players who are easily confused, or playing against an opponent who was using a different race which also contained the same miniatures in their team? But for the most it shouldnt be an issue at all (apart from playing dwarves obviously :-p )

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

Thanks guys, I wanted to ask because I myself have a few reservations, for instance I'd absolutely loathe to play against a lego team but I know some people have put those together.

I'd like to think this wasn't quite the same difference and that humans/norse/dwarfs aren't a bad combo for some kind of alliance anyway. It's not like I would be teaming up dwarfs with skaven or orcs or something and dwarfs are regularly allied with humans in fantasy settings so fluff wise I think it's okay.

The positions will be mega clear. I'm thinking the ulfs will be painted with orange fur akin to a trollslayer's hair anyway :D

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

99 percent in agreement.... The only other issue being opponents who might look at the were/ulf and think to themselves the wrong stats and skill lines....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I'd rather play this than - for example - certain Amazon teams where the only differential is the colour a feather has been painted. :D

My preference for custom teams or "counts as" is that it be really flippin' obvious and easy to tell the difference between types. I've played Orcs where the Blitzers were bigger than the Black Orcs for example. Really confusing!

But I would say that I really don't like obviously identifiable models counting as something similar. For example, when people use GW High Elves as Pro Elves and you forget about Nerves Of Steel.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

i don't mind proxies. mean to say, if someone needs a blitzer, and all he has is an extra lineman, by all means use the lineman as your blitzer. just be clear about which is which.

Rick Sanchez lives!
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I think if you try to theme the models so they look like they fit together it should be ok.
Maybe use some less heavily armoured dwarfs for the blitzers and longbeards. Or add beards to all the norse players you use.

I think the one thing to avoid is making it look like you only bought half a team and bunged a couple of models in that are sort of close.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

spubbbba wrote:
I think the one thing to avoid is making it look like you only bought half a team and bunged a couple of models in that are sort of close.

After thinking about it some more, and also digging out the Chaos Dwarfs I made from Warhammer Fantasy Longbeards/Hammerers, I think this might be the issue. The aforementioned figures are such quality sculpts and importantly of course really look the part for blood bowl to the point I'm now thinking more along the lines of buying another box and making a whole Dwarf team with them...

Agragor Manflayer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Agragor Manflayer »

Sorry for the necropost!

Instead of starting a new thread it seemed more proper to continue with this one.

How about if you met a "forest spirit" based on lizards consisting of one huge treeman, six dryadish creatures and a heap of small sentient "twigs" scuttling about?

Would that be acceptable or just annoying?

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Mmm going to steal that idea, thanks :orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
dfunkateer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dfunkateer »

Agragor Manflayer wrote:How about if you met a "forest spirit" based on lizards consisting of one huge treeman, six dryadish creatures and a heap of small sentient "twigs" scuttling about?

Would that be acceptable or just annoying?
That a tree-mendous idea! :D

For what it's worth, I'm more than happy playing against proxy minis provided that the positionals on the team are easily distinguishable from each other and also that the models are the appropriate size for the player that they're representing.

I've used impact sarcos tiny crocodile figures before as halflings (they are fling size) and didn't get any complaints.

Dfunk.

"He's a better player than he looks." Geggster about Dfunkateer, Stone Bowl 2018.